1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Light wavelength passing through a grating sketch help!

1. Aug 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

light with a wavelength of 520 nm abd 630 nm passes through a diffraction grating that contains 6000 lines/cm.

a) sketch a diagram of the image produced from m=0 to m=2, label the order of each fringe

b) calculate the angles for the first and second order maxima that would appear on the screen
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    ok so i have no idea how to make this diagram up, and i feel if i get help with that then part b will become easier for me

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2012 #2
    In some ways part (b) is the easy bit... all you need is the equation for adiffraction grating:
    dSinθ = nλ so you can calculate the angular postion (θ) of the maxima.
    What you have to watch out for is d = line separation and you have been give Number of lines per cm.
    Once you have the angles for the n=1 and n=2 max for each wavelength you should be able to do a sketch showing their positions.
    hope this will help you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook