Limit of a trigonometric function (Involved problem)

In summary: I used the conjugate method. First, I transformed everything into sin(x)/x. Then I used the sin(x)/x limit.
vertciel

Homework Statement

Evaluate [tex] \underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{\sec \frac{x}{2}-1}{x\sin x} [/tex], WITHOUT using l'Hôpital's rule.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hello there,

I tried to evaluate this limit using two different approaches, both of which still leave the limit in indeterminate form when 0 is substituted.

Thank you for your help!

I) Pure algebraic manipulation:

[tex] \begin{align}
& \underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{\sec \tfrac{x}{2}-1}{x\sin x}=\underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\left( \frac{1-\cos \tfrac{x}{2}}{\cos \tfrac{x}{2}}\div \frac{1}{x\sin x} \right)=\underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\left( \frac{1-\cos \tfrac{x}{2}}{x\sin x\cos \tfrac{x}{2}} \right) \\
& =\underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\left( \frac{1-\cos \tfrac{x}{2}}{\tfrac{x}{2}} \right)\times \underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\left( \frac{\tfrac{1}{2}}{\sin x\cos \tfrac{x}{2}} \right) \\
\end{align} [/tex]

II) Manipulation with conjugate method:

[tex] \begin{align}
& \underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{\sec \tfrac{x}{2}-1}{x\sin x}=\underset{x\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\left( \frac{1-\cos \tfrac{x}{2}}{x\sin x\cos \tfrac{x}{2}} \right) \\
& \text{Let u = }\tfrac{x}{2}.\text{ Since }\underset{u\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,u=0\text{, u still tends to 0}\text{.} \\
& \underset{u\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{1-\cos u}{\tfrac{u}{2}\cos u\sin \tfrac{u}{2}}\left( \frac{1+\cos u}{1+\cos u} \right)=\underset{u\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{1-{{\cos }^{2}}u}{\tfrac{u}{2}\cos u\sin \tfrac{u}{2}(1+\cos u)} \\
& =\underset{u\to 0}{\mathop{\lim }}\,\frac{{{\sin }^{2}}u}{\tfrac{u}{2}\cos u\sin \tfrac{u}{2}(1+\cos u)} \\
\end{align} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
One way to approach this problem is to transform everything into sine. Then, you can make use of the sin(x)/x limit. To transform the difference 1 - cos(x/2) into a sine, for example, substitute cos(0) for 1 and make use of the sum to product formulas, or recognize it as part of a power reducing formula for sine.

First let u=x/2, then x=2u. As x/2→0, u→0 also.

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sec\frac{x}{2} -1}{x\sin x} = \lim_{u\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sec u - 1}{2u\sin2u} \times \frac{\sec u + 1}{\sec u + 1} = \lim_{u\rightarrow 0}\frac{\sec^2u - 1}{2u\times 2\sin u \cos u(\sec u + 1)}[/tex]

The numerator becomes tan2u, then see where you can go from there.

Thank you very much for your replies, Tedjn and Bohrok.

I was able to evaluate this limit.

What is the limit of a trigonometric function?

The limit of a trigonometric function is the value that the function approaches as its input approaches a certain value. It can also be defined as the value that the function gets closer and closer to, but does not necessarily reach, as the input gets closer and closer to a certain value.

How do I find the limit of a trigonometric function?

The limit of a trigonometric function can be found using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, graphing, and the use of special trigonometric identities and formulas. It is important to carefully analyze the function and its behavior near the given input value in order to determine the limit.

What are some common techniques for solving limit problems involving trigonometric functions?

Some common techniques for solving limit problems involving trigonometric functions include the use of trigonometric identities such as the Pythagorean identity and double angle formulas, as well as the use of L'Hopital's rule and the squeeze theorem. It is also important to understand the behavior of trigonometric functions near certain values, such as their periodicity and symmetry.

What are some challenges in solving limit problems involving trigonometric functions?

Solving limit problems involving trigonometric functions can be challenging due to the complex nature of these functions and the various techniques that may need to be used. It is also important to be familiar with the properties and behaviors of trigonometric functions in order to accurately determine the limit.

Why is understanding the limit of a trigonometric function important?

Understanding the limit of a trigonometric function is important in many areas of mathematics and science, as it allows us to determine the behavior of these functions and make predictions about their values at certain points. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used in many applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics.