Limit of square root function.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the limit as x approaches infinity of √(x^2+x)-x and how it can be rearranged using the formula (x+y)(x-y) = x^2 - y^2. The conversation also mentions using L'Hopital's rule but ultimately concludes that dividing both the numerator and denominator by x leads to the limit approaching 0.5. The conversation also briefly touches on the limit of (1+1/x)^x as x approaches infinity, but suggests starting a new thread for any additional questions.
11thHeaven
I have to find the limit as x→∞ of √(x2+x)-xI can't rearrange this into a form where I can put infinity into the expression and get a meaningful answer. I've tried taking out square roots to get √x( √(x+1)-√x ) but if I put infinity into this I just get ∞(∞-∞) which is meaningless.

Now I know that the limit approaches 0.5 (simply by plugging large numbers into my calculator) but I have no idea why this happens.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the formula (x+y)(x-y) = x2 - y2? That might prove useful here.

clamtrox said:
Remember the formula (x+y)(x-y) = x2 - y2? That might prove useful here.

Are you suggesting [itex](\sqrt{x^2+x}-x)(\sqrt{x^2+x}+x)[/itex]? If so, how do I account for the [itex](\sqrt{x^2+x}+x)[/itex] factor?

Thanks for helping :)

Have you considered "multiplying and dividing by the same thing"?

Multiply and divide by √(x^2+x)+x

mtayab1994 said:
Multiply and divide by √(x^2+x)+x

If I do that, then I end up with [itex]\dfrac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+x}+x}[/itex], and I'm not sure how to progress from here. I can use L'Hopital's rule but then I get a horrible mess which doesn't seem to lead to any sort of answer.

Divide both the numerator and denominator by x.

ehild

ehild said:
Divide both the numerator and denominator by x.

ehild

Ahhh. That makes the whole thing work, thanks :)

Also, could anyone explain how the limit of [itex](1+\frac{1}{x})^x=e[/itex] as x goes to infinity? I first assumed it went to 1 (as 1/x goes to 0, and (1+0)^∞=1).

Please start a new thread for each new question.

Related to Limit of square root function.

What is a limit of a square root function?

A limit of a square root function is a value that the function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. In other words, it is the value that the function gets closer and closer to, but never actually reaches.

How do you calculate the limit of a square root function?

To calculate the limit of a square root function, you first need to identify the value that the input (x) is approaching. Then, you can plug in that value for x and simplify the resulting expression. The final answer will be the limit of the function.

What happens when the input (x) is equal to the value of the limit in a square root function?

When the input (x) is equal to the value of the limit, the function will have a defined value at that point. In other words, the limit will be equal to the value of the function at that specific input.

Can a square root function have a limit at infinity?

Yes, a square root function can have a limit at infinity. This means that as the input (x) approaches infinity, the function will approach a specific value, rather than growing infinitely large.

What is the relationship between the limit of a square root function and its graph?

The limit of a square root function is the horizontal value that the function approaches as the input (x) approaches a certain value. On a graph, this would be represented by a horizontal asymptote, where the function gets closer and closer to the asymptote but never actually touches it.