1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Limit of square root function.

1. Oct 9, 2012 #1
    I have to find the limit as x→∞ of √(x2+x)-x

I can't rearrange this into a form where I can put infinity into the expression and get a meaningful answer. I've tried taking out square roots to get √x( √(x+1)-√x ) but if I put infinity into this I just get ∞(∞-∞) which is meaningless.

Now I know that the limit approaches 0.5 (simply by plugging large numbers into my calculator) but I have no idea why this happens.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2012 #2
    Remember the formula (x+y)(x-y) = x2 - y2? That might prove useful here.

4. Oct 9, 2012 #3
    Are you suggesting [itex](\sqrt{x^2+x}-x)(\sqrt{x^2+x}+x)[/itex]? If so, how do I account for the [itex](\sqrt{x^2+x}+x)[/itex] factor?

Thanks for helping :)

5. Oct 9, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Have you considered "multiplying and dividing by the same thing"?

6. Oct 9, 2012 #5
    Multiply and divide by √(x^2+x)+x

7. Oct 10, 2012 #6
    If I do that, then I end up with [itex]\dfrac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+x}+x}[/itex], and I'm not sure how to progress from here. I can use L'Hopital's rule but then I get a horrible mess which doesn't seem to lead to any sort of answer.

8. Oct 10, 2012 #7

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Divide both the numerator and denominator by x.

ehild

9. Oct 10, 2012 #8
    Ahhh. That makes the whole thing work, thanks :)

10. Oct 10, 2012 #9
    Also, could anyone explain how the limit of [itex](1+\frac{1}{x})^x=e[/itex] as x goes to infinity? I first assumed it went to 1 (as 1/x goes to 0, and (1+0)^∞=1).

11. Oct 10, 2012 #10

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Please start a new thread for each new question.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook