IE8: Limited Smilies Menu - Fix Now

• Bug
  • Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, the person is having trouble using the smiley menu in IE8. They are running Windows 7 Pro and their IE8 version number is identical to the person writing this summary. They are using Firefox or Google Chrome.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Since I switched to IE 8 I have had a limited smilies menu (see attachment). This is all I get - the scrollbox does not scroll up or down.

Attachments

• PF_IE8_smilies.jpg
    PF_IE8_smilies.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 418
Physics news on Phys.org
I am also running IE8 (Windows 7), yet I can access all of the smilies. What OS are you running? Is your computer up to date as far as Microsoft's pushed updates?

Check your full version number with the one in my picture.

Attachments

• smiley capture.PNG
    smiley capture.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 368
hmm.. I am running Windows 7 Pro (all updated with MS updates) and my IE 8 version # is identical to yours.

Use firefox or google chrome.

We had a long thread about it in the mentor forum MIH. I have the problem on my old computer running XP and IE8 (aka devil spawn). I have IE7 on Vista on my new computer and refuse to change to IE8. IE7 works fine and doesn't have the problems IE8 has.

I just got a new computer with IE 8 preinstalled on Windows 7. I just tried it and I can't get ANY of the message menu items to react when I click on them. I'm glad that I don't use IE anyway - I would hate to debug that mess along with all of the other issues that I'm trying to fix. :yuck:

Just the same case here, MIH! But I only use one smiley anyway :biggrin:

If IE8 users (or anyone else) have trouble using the smiley menu, they can always type in the smiley name. The full list is https://www.physicsforums.com/misc.php?do=showsmilies" .

Last edited by a moderator:
I get the same thing. Everything is up to date as well.

On a side note, IE8 is waaaaay better than IE7.

Now if I could just see the correct smilely to add to this post...;)

erok81 said:
On a side note, IE8 is waaaaay better than IE7.

Handsome for a hunchback?

1. What is the "IE8: Limited Smilies Menu" issue?

The "IE8: Limited Smilies Menu" issue refers to a problem encountered by users of Internet Explorer 8 where the smilies menu (also known as emoticons or emojis) is limited and does not display all available options.

2. Why is this issue important?

This issue is important because smilies are commonly used in online communication to convey emotions and tone. When the smilies menu is limited, it can restrict users from accurately expressing themselves and hinder effective communication.

3. What causes the "IE8: Limited Smilies Menu" issue?

This issue is caused by compatibility problems between Internet Explorer 8 and newer versions of HTML and CSS. The smilies menu may also be affected by outdated software or plugins, or incorrect settings within the browser.

4. How can this issue be fixed?

There are a few possible solutions for fixing the "IE8: Limited Smilies Menu" issue. One option is to update to a newer version of Internet Explorer or switch to a different browser. Another solution is to install software updates and check for compatibility with the browser. It may also help to clear the browser cache and cookies, or reset the browser settings.

5. Is there a way to prevent this issue from occurring in the future?

To prevent the "IE8: Limited Smilies Menu" issue from occurring, it is important to regularly update the browser and associated software. It may also be helpful to check for compatibility before installing new plugins or making changes to the browser settings. Additionally, using a newer version of Internet Explorer or a different browser can help avoid this issue altogether.