Limits of Trigonometric Functions.

In summary, your friend told you that the limit would be equal to 0, but this is not always the case. Additionally, your friend is not qualified to give advice on this topic.
gabyoh23
Limits of Trigonometric Functions. URGENT!

Homework Statement

Evaluate stackrel{lim}{x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0}[/tex] [sin(\frac{2e}{x3}) \bullet (arctanx)]

Homework Equations

All I know is that the equation stackrel{lim}{x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{sin x}{x}[/tex] = 1 might be helpful, but I'm not sure how to apply it to this particular problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I talked to a friend of mine who's in Calc III, and she said that the whole limit would be equal to 0 since arctan(0) = 0, and sin[tex]\frac{2e}{x3}[/tex] is undefined, and the zero beats out the undefined value. This might be right, but how would I show that mathematically?

All help is greatly appreciated as I'm kind of in a crunch here :)

Physics news on Phys.org

gabyoh23 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate stackrel{lim}{x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0}[/tex] [sin(\frac{2e}{x3}) \bullet (arctanx)]

Homework Equations

All I know is that the equation stackrel{lim}{x [tex]\rightarrow[/tex]0}[/tex] [tex]\frac{sin x}{x}[/tex] = 1 might be helpful, but I'm not sure how to apply it to this particular problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

I talked to a friend of mine who's in Calc III, and she said that the whole limit would be equal to 0 since arctan(0) = 0, and sin[tex]\frac{2e}{x3}[/tex] is undefined, and the zero beats out the undefined value. This might be right, but how would I show that mathematically?

All help is greatly appreciated as I'm kind of in a crunch here :)
Here's your corrected limit expression.

Evaluate [tex]lim_{x \rightarrow 0} sin(\frac{2e}{x^3}) arctanx[/tex]

Your friend is leading you astray. It's not necessarily true that an expression tending to zero "beats out" an undefined value. What is true is that -1 <= sin(u) <= 1 for all real values of u.

Thanks for correcting my formatting. I was in a rush, and I accidentally hit the "submit post" button before previewing it.

Thanks for the input!

1. What are the limits of trigonometric functions?

The limits of trigonometric functions depend on the specific function being evaluated. For sine and cosine functions, the limit is always between -1 and 1. For tangent and cotangent functions, the limit does not exist at certain points. The limit of secant and cosecant functions is always either positive or negative infinity.

2. How are the limits of trigonometric functions calculated?

The limits of trigonometric functions can be calculated using various methods such as L'Hôpital's rule, trigonometric identities, and graphical analysis. The specific method used depends on the function and the given limit.

3. What is the significance of the limits of trigonometric functions?

The limits of trigonometric functions are important in calculus and real analysis, as they can be used to determine the continuity, differentiability, and convergence of trigonometric functions. They also have applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

4. Are there any exceptions to the limits of trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are some exceptions to the limits of trigonometric functions. For example, the limit of the tangent function does not exist at points where the function has vertical asymptotes, such as at odd multiples of π/2. Additionally, the limit of the cosecant function does not exist at points where the function has vertical asymptotes, such as at even multiples of π.

5. Can the limits of trigonometric functions be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the limits of trigonometric functions can be used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. For example, in calculating the trajectory of a projectile, trigonometric functions are used to determine the maximum height and range of the projectile. In addition, the limits of trigonometric functions can be used to analyze and optimize the performance of mechanical systems.