1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line Charge

1. Nov 26, 2006 #1
    A line charge of liner charge density lambda=4.5 nC/m lies on the x axis and extends from x=-5cm to x=5cm. Derive an expression for E_y.

I have started with this question and it seems that I have to sum the electric fields in the y direction caused by each dx along the line with a charge dq. I think I understand how to do the integral but I just don't know what the field in the y direction is? Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2006 #2
    Just imagine that the apparent charge, when 'felt' from test charges away from the rod convene to a equidistant point on both sides of this rod. Consider this to be the y-distance away from the x-axis (rod). Since this rod is of finite length, then you should approximate the greatest electric field to be at x=0, and then at some distance y from the bar. Now, all you have to do is find how far away from y=0 the electric field maximizes. You can simply triangulate to find this point, and then use vector addition of the j-components from the two integrals.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?