Line Integral Along a Path: How to Compute and Use Vector Fields

In summary, The line integral along the path c(t)=(cos(t), sin(t)) with 0≤t≤∏ is equal to 0.5∏.
idir93
1. Homework Statement

Vector field is F=-y[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + x[itex]\hat{y}[/itex]

Compute the line integral along the path c(t)=( cos(t), sin(t) ) with 0≤t≤∏2. The attempt at a solution
i started computing f.dl but how much is dl ? I took it dx[itex]\hat{x}[/itex] +dy[itex]\hat{y}[/itex] I'm not sure if using Cartesian coordinates is right ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can's see why you would say " I'm not sure if using Cartesian coordinates is right" when everything is given in Cartesian coordinates. You are given that the line is defined by [itex]c(t)= (cos(t), sin(t))[/itex] so it should be clear that [itex]dc= (-sin(t), cos(t))dt[/itex] and that is dl because it has unit length.

Found it ! it's 0.5∏

What is a line integral along a path?

A line integral along a path is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the amount of work done by a vector field along a given path. It involves integrating a function along a curve or line segment, taking into account the direction and magnitude of the vector field at each point along the path.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral is used to find the area under a curve in two or more dimensions, while a line integral is used to find the work done by a vector field along a specific path. Regular integrals involve integrating over an area, while line integrals are calculated along a curve or line segment.

How is a line integral calculated?

A line integral is calculated by dividing the given path into small segments, approximating the vector field at each point along the path, and then summing up these approximations. As the segments become smaller and smaller, the approximation becomes more accurate and the line integral becomes more precise.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals along a path?

Line integrals along a path are commonly used in physics and engineering, such as calculating the work done by a force along a specific path, finding the flux of a vector field through a surface, and determining the electric potential of a charged particle moving along a path.

What is the significance of the path chosen for a line integral?

The path chosen for a line integral can greatly affect the final result. If the path is chosen in a way that aligns with the direction of the vector field, the line integral will be larger. If the path is chosen in a way that goes against the direction of the vector field, the line integral will be smaller. It is important to carefully consider the path when calculating a line integral to ensure an accurate result.