Line Integral Calculations: Understanding Direction and Parametrization

In summary, the conversation discusses integrating over a curve, C2, using the equation ∫[f (dot) unit tangent]ds. The vector function for C2 is defined as r(s) = (s,1-s), and the tangent vector is equal to the derivative of this function. However, the conversation reveals that the unit tangent vector is not necessary in this case and that the integral can simply be calculated using the tangent vector and the differential ds. It is also noted that the parameterization of C2 is from 0 to 1, not 0 to √2 as previously thought, resulting in a different answer.
Miike012
Can someone tell me where my calculations are going wrong.

I am integrating over C2: (Note Line integral over C1 and C3 are zero.)

NOTE: The vector function f(x,y,z) that I am integrating over C2 is highlighted in red in the paint doc.

The equation that I am using is: ∫[f (dot) unit tangent]ds

Equation of C2: y = 1 - x
Parameterization of C2: y = 1 - s and x = s

Vector function for C2 is: r(s) = (s,1-s)
d(r(s))/ds = (1,-1)
Unit d(r(s))/ds = (1,-1)/√2

f(x,y,z) = (y,-x) = (1-s,-s)f (dot) unit tangent = (1-s,-s) dot (1,-1)/√2 = 1/√2

Integrating line integral from 0 to √2 I get: 1/√2(s) from 0 to √2 = 1.

The answer is -1.

Attachments

• LI.jpg
    LI.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 334
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Miike012 said:
Can someone tell me where my calculations are going wrong.

I am integrating over C2: (Note Line integral over C1 and C3 are zero.)

NOTE: The vector function f(x,y,z) that I am integrating over C2 is highlighted in red in the paint doc.

The equation that I am using is: ∫[f (dot) unit tangent]ds

Equation of C2: y = 1 - x
Parameterization of C2: y = 1 - s and x = s

Vector function for C2 is: r(s) = (s,1-s)
d(r(s))/ds = (1,-1)
Unit d(r(s))/ds = (1,-1)/√2

f(x,y,z) = (y,-x) = (1-s,-s)

f (dot) unit tangent = (1-s,-s) dot (1,-1)/√2 = 1/√2

Integrating line integral from 0 to √2 I get: 1/√2(s) from 0 to √2 = 1.

The answer is -1.

1) pay some attention to which direction C2 goes in, r(s)=(s,1-s) goes in the wrong direction for s in [0,1]. 2) You are just integrating F(r).dr. dr doesn't have to be a unit vector and your parameter s isn't in [0,sqrt(2)], it's in [0,1]. You are making two mistakes that are cancelling and letting you get close to the correct answer.

Dick said:
1) pay some attention to which direction C2 goes in, r(s)=(s,1-s) goes in the wrong direction for s in [0,1]. 2) You are just integrating F(r).dr. dr doesn't have to be a unit vector and your parameter s isn't in [0,sqrt(2)], it's in [0,1]. You are making two mistakes that are cancelling and letting you get close to the correct answer.

I see where the interval s in [0,1] comes from. It comes from the fact that x = s.
From my equation r(s)=(s,1-s) I would have to integrate from 1 to 0.
However I don't understand why I wouldn't integrate the dot product of f and the unit tangent to the curve. I used the equation ∫[f (dot) unit tangent ]ds

"Unit tangent to the curve". The path in this problem is a straight line. Any "tangent" vector just points along the line itself. Even with a true curve, the unit tangent is not really necessary. The length will be taken care of in the differential.

HallsofIvy said:
"Unit tangent to the curve". The path in this problem is a straight line. Any "tangent" vector just points along the line itself. Even with a true curve, the unit tangent is not really necessary. The length will be taken care of in the differential.

But the reason why we dot the vector field with the unit tangent to the curve is so we can obtain only the component of the vector field in the direction of the curve or parallel to the unit tangent.

and of course you have to dot it with the unit tangent: Look at the equation it is...
f (dot) ds, where f is the vector field we wish to integrate along the curve and ds is the vector in the direction of the curve.

The vector ds is equal to (unit tangent)ds where unit tangent is the directional vector in the direction of motion along the curve and ds is the magnitude of the directional vector.

What you guys are saying is we should use (tangent vector)ds whish is equal to (unit tangent)(ds)2

Last edited:
Miike012 said:
But the reason why we dot the vector field with the unit tangent to the curve is so we can obtain only the component of the vector field in the direction of the curve or parallel to the unit tangent.

and of course you have to dot it with the unit tangent: Look at the equation it is...
f (dot) ds, where f is the vector field we wish to integrate along the curve and ds is the vector in the direction of the curve.

The vector ds is equal to (unit tangent)ds where unit tangent is the directional vector in the direction of motion along the curve and ds is the magnitude of the directional vector.

What you guys are saying is we should use (tangent vector)ds whish is equal to (unit tangent)(ds)2

Just use (tangent vector)ds. Not (unit tangent vector)ds.

Miike012 said:

Your argument would be correct if you had defined s to be the distance along C2. But you didn't, you defined it as a parameter going from 0 to 1.

The only logical explanation I can think of is by parameterizing the equation for the curve then creating a vector function for that curve (which can be thought of as the position vector for the curve) the direction of the curve would some how automatically be given by the tangent vector which is equal to the derivative of the position vector I defined above. It does this because the original position vector that I defined above isn't just related to the curve but it is the actual definition of the curve in vector form just as the equation for the curve defines that curve. Therefore the tangent is related the same way and therefore automatically gives the proper direction without having to calculate the unit tangent.

That is my only explanation.

I have a definition that I would like someone to verify.
If my above explanation is correct then the following should be correct.

given the function G = g(x,y,z) that defines the curve C and a vector field F = f(x,y,z) the following line integral
∫(F(x,y,z))dot(unit tangent(x,y,z))ds is equivalent to the following integral
∫(F(x(s),y(s),z(s))dot(tangent(x(s),y(s),z(s)) where tangent(x(s),y(s),z(s)) = dG/ds and x = x(s),y=y(s), and z = z(s) are the parameterizations of the curve C that create the position vector function g(x(s),y(s),z(s)) to C.

Miike012 said:
The only logical explanation I can think of is by parameterizing the equation for the curve then creating a vector function for that curve (which can be thought of as the position vector for the curve) the direction of the curve would some how automatically be given by the tangent vector which is equal to the derivative of the position vector I defined above. It does this because the original position vector that I defined above isn't just related to the curve but it is the actual definition of the curve in vector form just as the equation for the curve defines that curve. Therefore the tangent is related the same way and therefore automatically gives the proper direction without having to calculate the unit tangent.

That is my only explanation.

I have a definition that I would like someone to verify.
If my above explanation is correct then the following should be correct.

given the function G = g(x,y,z) that defines the curve C and a vector field F = f(x,y,z) the following line integral
∫(F(x,y,z))dot(unit tangent(x,y,z))ds is equivalent to the following integral
∫(F(x(s),y(s),z(s))dot(tangent(x(s),y(s),z(s)) where tangent(x(s),y(s),z(s)) = dG/ds and x = x(s),y=y(s), and z = z(s) are the parameterizations of the curve C that create the position vector function g(x(s),y(s),z(s)) to C.

The definition of the line integral is independent of parametrization. You will only get a unit vector for the derivative of the curve if you chose arc length parametrization. You don't have to. That's the whole story.

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of integral in calculus that is used to calculate the total value of a function along a curve or a path. It involves breaking down the curve into small pieces and calculating the value of the function at each point, then summing up these values to get the total value.

What is the difference between a line integral and a regular integral?

A regular integral calculates the total value of a function over a specific interval, while a line integral calculates the total value of a function along a specific curve or path. In other words, a regular integral is a 2-dimensional operation, while a line integral is a 1-dimensional operation.

What are some real-world applications of line integral calculations?

Line integral calculations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. Some specific applications include calculating work done by a force along a curved path, finding the average value of a function along a path, and determining the flow of a fluid along a specific path.

What is the formula for calculating a line integral?

The formula for a line integral is ∫ab f(x,y) ds, where f(x,y) is the function being integrated, a and b are the starting and ending points of the curve, and ds is the length of the small pieces of the curve. This formula can be adapted for different types of line integrals, such as line integrals in the x-direction or y-direction.

What are some techniques for evaluating line integrals?

There are various techniques for evaluating line integrals, including Green's theorem, the fundamental theorem of line integrals, and parametrization. It is important to choose the appropriate technique depending on the type of curve and function being integrated. Other techniques, such as using trigonometric identities and substitutions, may also be useful in certain cases.