Line integral in polar coordinates

In summary, Green's theorem states that an IDENTITY exists between a calculated line integral and a calculated surface integral.
manenbu

Homework Statement

calculate:
[tex]\oint \frac{2-y}{x^2+(y-2)^2} dx + \frac{x}{x^2+(y-2)^2} dy [/tex]

where [itex] y = \sin{t} + 2, x = \cos{t}, 0 \leq t \leq \pi[/itex]

Homework Equations

Green's Theorem.

The Attempt at a Solution

In what order should I do everything?
I need to find the derivaties of P and Q (what comes before the dx and dy), and doing it like this is a bit complicated. So I thought I'll change it to polar, but then I need to take dP/dy but now P is a function of t and not x,y so I can't do that.
In that case, how do I convert dy to polar differentials? I know that dA or dxdy equals rdrdt, but what about only dy?

Or another idea I thought of was to make the denominator 1 (because it is - it's cos2t + sin2t, and then take the derivatives but they are different than what I get if I don't do that.

I don't know which method would be correct, so if someone can help me that'd be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why use green's theorem at all?

Green's theorem states an IDENTITY between a calculated line integral and a calculated surface integral.

It is no need to switch to a surface/area integral here, since the indicated line integral is very simple to calculate
(As a general rule, don't ever bother with Green's theorem, the divergence theorem etc, unless the switch warranted by these theorems simplifies your calculations)

Ok so if I do the line integral,

[tex]2-y = -\sin{t}[/tex]

[tex]x = \cos{t}[/tex]

[tex]x^2+(y-2)^2 = \cos^2{t} + \sin^2{t} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = -\sin{t} , \frac{dy}{dt} = \cos{t}[/tex]

The integral becomes:

[tex]
\int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{-\sin{t}(-\sin{t})}{1} dt + \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{\cos{t}\cos{t}}{1} dt = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \cos^2{t} + \sin^2{t} dt = \int_{0}^{2\pi} dt = 2\pi[/tex]

but let's assume I do want to use green's theorem.
So:

[tex]P = \frac{2-y}{x^2+(y-2)^2}, Q = \frac{x}{x^2+(y-2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{(y-2)^2-x^2}{(x^2+(y-2)^2)^2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{(y-2)^2-x^2}{(x^2+(y-2)^2)^2}[/tex]

Snd since Green's theorem says that it's the double integral of the difference of those 2 derivaties, I get a double integral of 0, not [itex]2\pi[/itex].

So what went wrong here?

First off, t only goes to pie, not two-pie!

Secondly, you cannot use Green's theorem, since the integrand contains a singularity at (0,2)

oh, then it was a mistake in the first post. it should go to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. sorry.
and I also understand why green's theorem fails. thanks. :)

To nit-pick:

Green's theorem did not fail, it was your application of it that was inappropriate
:smile:

So Green should've come with a better theorem ;)

FAQ: Line integral in polar coordinates

1. What is a line integral in polar coordinates?

A line integral in polar coordinates is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the total value of a function along a specific path or curve in a polar coordinate system. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in the function along the path.

2. How is a line integral in polar coordinates different from a regular line integral?

A line integral in polar coordinates is different from a regular line integral because it takes into account the changing direction of the curve in addition to the changing magnitude. In polar coordinates, the curve is defined by an angle and a radius, rather than just a single variable as in Cartesian coordinates.

3. What are the applications of line integrals in polar coordinates?

Line integrals in polar coordinates have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to calculate work done by a force along a curved path, electric or magnetic field strength at a specific point, and fluid flow in a circular pipe, among others.

4. How is a line integral in polar coordinates calculated?

To calculate a line integral in polar coordinates, the curve is broken down into small sections which are approximated by straight lines. The function is then evaluated at these points and multiplied by the arc length of the section, which is given by the polar coordinate equations. These values are then summed up to give the total value of the line integral.

5. Are there any limitations to using line integrals in polar coordinates?

One limitation of using line integrals in polar coordinates is that they can only be used for curves that can be described by a single polar equation. Additionally, some functions may be more difficult to evaluate in polar coordinates, and it may be necessary to convert them to Cartesian coordinates for simpler calculations.

Back