1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line integral in polar coordinates

1. Sep 22, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

calculate:
    [tex]\oint \frac{2-y}{x^2+(y-2)^2} dx + \frac{x}{x^2+(y-2)^2} dy [/tex]

where [itex] y = \sin{t} + 2, x = \cos{t}, 0 \leq t \leq \pi[/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Green's Theorem.

3. The attempt at a solution

In what order should I do everything?
    I need to find the derivaties of P and Q (what comes before the dx and dy), and doing it like this is a bit complicated. So I thought I'll change it to polar, but then I need to take dP/dy but now P is a function of t and not x,y so I can't do that.
    In that case, how do I convert dy to polar differentials? I know that dA or dxdy equals rdrdt, but what about only dy?

Or another idea I thought of was to make the denominator 1 (because it is - it's cos2t + sin2t, and then take the derivatives but they are different than what I get if I don't do that.

I don't know which method would be correct, so if someone can help me that'd be great.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2009 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Why use green's theorem at all?

Green's theorem states an IDENTITY between a calculated line integral and a calculated surface integral.

It is no need to switch to a surface/area integral here, since the indicated line integral is very simple to calculate
    (As a general rule, don't ever bother with Green's theorem, the divergence theorem etc, unless the switch warranted by these theorems simplifies your calculations)

4. Sep 22, 2009 #3
    Ok so if I do the line integral,

[tex]2-y = -\sin{t}[/tex]

[tex]x = \cos{t}[/tex]

[tex]x^2+(y-2)^2 = \cos^2{t} + \sin^2{t} = 1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dx}{dt} = -\sin{t} , \frac{dy}{dt} = \cos{t}[/tex]

The integral becomes:

[tex]
    \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{-\sin{t}(-\sin{t})}{1} dt + \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{\cos{t}\cos{t}}{1} dt = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \cos^2{t} + \sin^2{t} dt = \int_{0}^{2\pi} dt = 2\pi[/tex]

but let's assume I do want to use green's theorem.
    So:

[tex]P = \frac{2-y}{x^2+(y-2)^2}, Q = \frac{x}{x^2+(y-2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial P}{\partial y} = \frac{(y-2)^2-x^2}{(x^2+(y-2)^2)^2}[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial Q}{\partial x} = \frac{(y-2)^2-x^2}{(x^2+(y-2)^2)^2}[/tex]

Snd since Green's theorem says that it's the double integral of the difference of those 2 derivaties, I get a double integral of 0, not [itex]2\pi[/itex].

So what went wrong here?

5. Sep 22, 2009 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

First off, t only goes to pie, not two-pie!

Secondly, you cannot use Green's theorem, since the integrand contains a singularity at (0,2)

6. Sep 22, 2009 #5
    oh, then it was a mistake in the first post. it should go to [itex]2\pi[/itex]. sorry.
    and I also understand why green's theorem fails. thanks. :)

7. Sep 22, 2009 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

To nit-pick:

Green's theorem did not fail, it was your application of it that was inappropriate
    :smile:

8. Sep 22, 2009 #7
    So Green should've come with a better theorem ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook