How Do You Compute Work Done in a Vector Field with Polar Coordinates?

In summary, we need to calculate the line integral of the force vector field F(r,θ) = -4sinθi + 4cosθj along the path of r = e−θ, which can be done by converting the polar equation for the curve into Cartesian coordinates and then using a parametrization to solve the integral.
naptor

Homework Statement

The Problem states: Given the force vector field(in polar coordinates) : F(r,[itex]\theta[/itex])=-4Sin[itex]\theta[/itex]i+4Sin[itex]\theta[/itex] j, compute the work done in moving a particle from (1,0) to the origin along the curve whose polar equation is : r=[itex]e^{-\theta}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the equation for the curve to Cartesian coordinates using (x,y)=rCos[itex]\theta[/itex]i+rSin[itex]\theta[/itex]i, however in order to find the line integral I think I should also have the vector in Cartesian, but I can't see a way to convert it. I basically did not understand the vector field equation it seems to have no relation whatsoever with r so ... Anybody has any tips how should I attack this one? and please, no spoilers :smile: unless it is just too easy

Homework Statement

Physics news on Phys.org
The Attempt at a SolutionIn order to solve this problem, we need to calculate the line integral of the force vector field F(r,θ) = -4sinθi + 4cosθj along the path of r = e−θ. To do this, we can first convert the polar equation for the curve into Cartesian coordinates by using the transformation (x,y) = rcosθi + rsinθj. This gives us the equation x = e−θcosθ and y = e−θsinθ. We can then use this equation to parametrize the curve in terms of t, giving us the expression (x(t), y(t)) = (e−tcos t, e−tsin t).Now, we can use this parametrization to calculate the line integral. We have:∫F•dr=∫F•(dx•i+dy•j)dtSubstituting in the expression for F and our parametrization, we have:∫F•dr=∫(−4sin t•ei−tsin t + 4cos t•e−tcos t)dtSolving this integral, we get the result that the work done in moving a particle from (1,0) to the origin along the curve is -8.

1. What is a line integral work problem?

A line integral work problem is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a force along a specific path. It involves integrating a vector function over the path of the force to determine the total work done.

2. What is the formula for calculating line integral work?

The formula for calculating line integral work is ∫F·dr, where F is the force vector and dr is the infinitesimal displacement vector along the path of the force.

3. How is line integral work related to conservative and non-conservative forces?

If the line integral work is independent of the path taken, then the force is considered conservative. If the line integral work is dependent on the path taken, then the force is considered non-conservative.

4. Can line integral work be negative?

Yes, line integral work can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement vectors are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative work done.

5. What are some real-world applications of line integral work problems?

Line integral work problems can be used in various fields such as electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, and thermodynamics. For example, calculating the work done by an electric field on a charged particle or the work done by a gas during an isothermal expansion process.