Solving a Complex Integral Problem by Hand

In summary: In general, you would need to find the derivatives of f(x,y) at each point, and then use those derivatives to evaluate the line integral.
p0tat0phun

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the following image.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2972/lskfjsf.png

Homework Equations

∫h(r)*dr = ∫h[r(u)]*r'(u)du

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to figure out plugging in (t^2+3) at every x and sin(1/2πt) at every y. I then set up the dot product of the substituted equation and r'(u)du (2t + 1/2πcos(1/2πt)). The problem is, the integral ends up being much to complex to work by hand since I'm not allowed to use a calculator for this problem. So I was wondering if there was an easier way to work this problem out?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
p0tat0phun said:

Homework Statement

The problem is given in the following image.
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/2972/lskfjsf.png

Homework Equations

∫h(r)*dr = ∫h[r(u)]*r'(u)du

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to figure out plugging in (t^2+3) at every x and sin(1/2πt) at every y. I then set up the dot product of the substituted equation and r'(u)du (2t + 1/2πcos(1/2πt)). The problem is, the integral ends up being much to complex to work by hand since I'm not allowed to use a calculator for this problem. So I was wondering if there was an easier way to work this problem out?

Think about why the first part asked you to find f(x,y) whose gradient is the given vector field. Perhaps you can use that f(x,y) somehow, hint, hint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I found f(x,y) to be:
3x + e^x*y^2 + 3e^x*y + 2e^x + y^2
But I'm still confused on where to continue with that.

p0tat0phun said:
Okay, so I found f(x,y) to be:
3x + e^x*y^2 + 3e^x*y + 2e^x + y^2
But I'm still confused on where to continue with that.

Your text should have a theorem about evaluating line integrals when you have a potential function f(x,y), and that is the whole point of this problem.

1. How do I approach solving a complex integral problem by hand?

The first step in solving a complex integral problem by hand is to identify the type of integral you are dealing with. This can be done by looking at the integrand and determining if it is a polynomial, trigonometric function, exponential function, etc. Once you have identified the type of integral, you can then use appropriate techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to simplify the problem.

2. What is the purpose of solving a complex integral problem by hand?

Solving a complex integral problem by hand allows you to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying concepts and techniques involved in integration. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and allows you to check your answers when using a calculator or software.

3. How do I know if I have solved a complex integral problem correctly?

In order to determine if you have solved a complex integral problem correctly, you can check your answer by differentiating it. If the result is the original integrand, then you have solved the problem correctly. Additionally, you can also use online integral calculators or ask for assistance from a teacher or tutor.

4. Can all complex integral problems be solved by hand?

No, not all complex integral problems can be solved by hand. Some integrals may require advanced techniques or cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. In these cases, numerical methods or software may be used to approximate the solution.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a complex integral problem by hand?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a complex integral problem by hand include miscalculations, incorrect use of integration rules, and forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the integration techniques being used.