Line of action for which the resultant force of the wrench passes

In summary, the problem involves determining the equivalent force-couple system at point O, where a 180-N force is exerted with the right hand and a 90-N force is exerted with the left hand to secure a socket onto a bolt head. The resultant force is found to be R = -90j - 180k N and the moment is M = -6.3i - 36j N*m. However, the point in the x-y plane through which the line of action of the resultant force passes is unknown. Further clarification is needed as to where the value of -160 mm comes from, as it is not mentioned in the problem statement.
imd
phprAb3vu.png
In tightening a bolt whose center is at point O, a person exerts a 180-N force on the ratchet handle with his right hand. In addition, with his left hand he exerts a 90-N force as shown in order to secure the socket onto the bolt head. Determine the equivalent force–couple system at O. Then find the point in the x-y plane through which the line of action of the resultant force of the wrench passes.

The answer should be:

R = -90j - 180k N

M = -6.3i - 36j N*m
x = -160 mm

y = 35 mm

Physics news on Phys.org
And what is your question ?

Sorry I did not specify. I am not sure how to solve the problem, I can find the Force and Moment around O but cannot find the line of action on x. If you could briefly explain how to do the problem that would be great. Thanks!

Ah, that clears some of the fog. Next time use the template (read the guidelines to find out why it's compulsory in PF).
And: welcome to PF :) !

Not exactly as described in the guidelines, but I can now at least estimate you are able to sort out what is given and you can convert at least some of what is asked into something to do. I hope that's also true if the answer isn't in the back of the book.

Now comes the bummer: I have no idea either where the -160 comes from ! Resultant force link doesn't help me: there is nothing in the x or -x direction I can find. Almost want to ask: could this be a typo ?

But perhaps someone else listening in has a better idea ?

I would first analyze the given information and draw a diagram to better understand the situation. From the given forces, the equivalent force-couple system at point O can be calculated using the equations R = F1 + F2 and M = r x F. Using the values given, the resultant force R and the moment M can be calculated to be -90j - 180k N and -6.3i - 36j N*m, respectively.

To determine the point in the x-y plane through which the line of action of the resultant force of the wrench passes, I would use the equation M = r x F. By setting M = 0, we can solve for the point where the line of action of the resultant force passes through. Using the values calculated above, we can solve for the point to be at (-160 mm, 35 mm) in the x-y plane.

This information can be useful in understanding the forces and moments acting on the bolt and the importance of properly securing the socket onto the bolt head. It also highlights the importance of considering the point of application of forces in any mechanical system. Further analysis and calculations can be done to determine the stability and effectiveness of the wrench in tightening the bolt.

1. What is the line of action for which the resultant force of the wrench passes?

The line of action for which the resultant force of the wrench passes is an imaginary line that runs through the point of application of the force and in the direction of the force vector.

2. How is the line of action determined for a wrench?

The line of action for a wrench can be determined by drawing a line through the point of application of the force and in the direction of the force vector. This line represents the line of action for the resultant force of the wrench.

3. What is the importance of knowing the line of action for a wrench?

Knowing the line of action for a wrench is important because it helps determine the direction and magnitude of the resultant force. This information is crucial for understanding the overall effect of the wrench on an object or system.

4. Can the line of action change for a wrench?

Yes, the line of action for a wrench can change if the point of application or direction of the force vector changes. In addition, if multiple forces are acting on the wrench, the line of action may also change depending on the resulting force of all the individual forces.

5. How can the line of action be used to calculate the moment of a wrench?

The line of action can be used to calculate the moment of a wrench by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the point of application to the line of action. This will give the torque or moment of the wrench, which is a measure of its rotational force.