1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Line of action for which the resultant force of the wrench passes

1. Sep 30, 2014 #1

imd

phprAb3vu.png

In tightening a bolt whose center is at point O, a person exerts a 180-N force on the ratchet handle with his right hand. In addition, with his left hand he exerts a 90-N force as shown in order to secure the socket onto the bolt head. Determine the equivalent force–couple system at O. Then find the point in the x-y plane through which the line of action of the resultant force of the wrench passes.

The answer should be:

R = -90j - 180k N

M = -6.3i - 36j N*m
    x = -160 mm

y = 35 mm

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2014 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And what is your question ?

4. Oct 2, 2014 #3

imd

Sorry I did not specify. I am not sure how to solve the problem, I can find the Force and Moment around O but cannot find the line of action on x. If you could briefly explain how to do the problem that would be great. Thanks!

5. Oct 3, 2014 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Ah, that clears some of the fog. Next time use the template (read the guidelines to find out why it's compulsory in PF).
    And: welcome to PF :) !

Not exactly as described in the guidelines, but I can now at least estimate you are able to sort out what is given and you can convert at least some of what is asked into something to do. I hope that's also true if the answer isn't in the back of the book.

Now comes the bummer: I have no idea either where the -160 comes from ! Resultant force link doesn't help me: there is nothing in the x or -x direction I can find. Almost want to ask: could this be a typo ?

But perhaps someone else listening in has a better idea ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted