Linear algebra 1: cauchy schwarz problem

In summary: So llu+vll is not equal to llull + llvll.In summary, using the Cauchy-Schwartz inequality, we know that ||u+v|| is less than or equal to ||u|| + ||v||. However, in this case, since u dot v is equal to 10, we know that llu+vll is not equal to llull + llvll. Therefore, the solution is incorrect and further steps need to be taken to find the correct solution.
BWE38

Homework Statement

If llull = 4, llvll = 5 and u dot v = 10, find llu+vll. u and v are vectors

Homework Equations

llu+vll = llull + llvll cauchy schwarz

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) llu+vll = llull + llvll

(2) (llu+vll)^2 = (llull + llvll)^2

(3) (llu+vll)^2 = llull^2 + 2uv +llvll^2

(4) (llu+vll)^2 = 4^2 + 2(10) +5^2

(5)(llu+vll)^2 = 16 + 20 + 25

(6) sqr(llu+vll)^2 = sqr61

(7) (llu+vll) = 7.81

I think that I am doing it wrong for some reason. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Line (1) is ofcourse not correct.

Hint: square ||u+v||.

Last edited:
BWE38 said:

Homework Statement

If llull = 4, llvll = 5 and u dot v = 10, find llu+vll. u and v are vectors

Homework Equations

llu+vll = llull + llvll cauchy schwarz
No, that is NOT correct! The Cauchy-Schwartz in-equality says that
[tex]||u+ v||\le ||u||+ ||v||[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) llu+vll = llull + llvll
again, no.

(2) (llu+vll)^2 = (llull + llvll)^2
No.

(3) (llu+vll)^2 = llull^2 + 2uv +llvll^2
That "2uv" (2 time the dot product of u and v) is NOT 0 tells you immediately that ||u+ v|| is NOT equal to ||u||+ ||v||!

(4) (llu+vll)^2 = 4^2 + 2(10) +5^2

(5)(llu+vll)^2 = 16 + 20 + 25

(6) sqr(llu+vll)^2 = sqr61

(7) (llu+vll) = 7.81

I think that I am doing it wrong for some reason. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
It looks right to me! What reason do you have to think this is wrong?

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
No, that is NOT correct! The Cauchy-Schwartz in-equality says that
[tex]||u+ v||\le ||u||+ ||v||[/tex]

again, no.

No.

That "2uv" (2 time the dot product of u and v) is NOT 0 tells you immediately that ||u+ v|| is NOT equal to ||u||+ ||v||!

It looks right to me! What reason do you have to think this is wrong?

aha! I see what you are saying now. (llu+vll)^2 = uu + uv +vu + vv, which becomes llu+vll^2 = llull^2 + 2uv + llvll^2

llu+vll = llull +llvll, IFF 2uv = 0

Which in this case it isn't. Because uv is equal to 10.

1. What is Linear Algebra 1: Cauchy Schwarz Problem?

Linear Algebra 1: Cauchy Schwarz Problem is a mathematical concept that involves the study of linear equations and their solutions. It is based on the Cauchy Schwarz Inequality, which states that the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. This concept is used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as physics and engineering.

2. What is the Cauchy Schwarz Inequality?

The Cauchy Schwarz Inequality is a mathematical principle that states the dot product of two vectors is always less than or equal to the product of their magnitudes. It can also be written as (a · b)^2 ≤ (a · a) (b · b), where a and b are two vectors. This inequality is used in many areas of mathematics and science, such as linear algebra, calculus, and statistics.

3. How is the Cauchy Schwarz Inequality used in Linear Algebra?

The Cauchy Schwarz Inequality is used in Linear Algebra to prove the existence of solutions to linear equations and to determine the orthogonality of vectors. It is also used to derive other important theorems in linear algebra, such as the Triangle Inequality and the Law of Cosines.

4. What is the Cauchy Schwarz Problem?

The Cauchy Schwarz Problem is a specific application of the Cauchy Schwarz Inequality that involves finding the minimum and maximum values of a quadratic form subject to constraints. This problem is commonly used in optimization and has applications in economics, physics, and engineering.

5. What are some real-life applications of Linear Algebra 1: Cauchy Schwarz Problem?

Linear Algebra 1: Cauchy Schwarz Problem has many real-life applications in various fields. It is used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of objects, in economics to optimize production levels, and in physics to calculate the energy of a system. It also has applications in statistics, engineering, and signal processing.