Linear Algebra: A^tb=0 - Solving for Best Approximation of b in Col A

In summary, the given problem involves finding the best approximation of vector b in the column space of matrix A, given the condition A^T.b = 0. Using the theorem (col A)^\perp = Nul A^T, it can be shown that b is already orthogonal to the column space of A. This means that the columns of A are not good approximators for b. To find the best approximation, one must consider the measurement of how "good" an approximation is, which is not outlined in the given conversation.
ji707
hi all, i was given a take home exam for my linear algebra course and i can't seem to find the answer to this problem.

Homework Statement

if [itex] A^T\vec{b} = \vec{0}[/itex]
what can you say about ##\hat{b}## the vector in Col A which is the best approximation of
##\vec{b}##.

Homework Equations

##A^T A \vec{x} = A^T\vec{b}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start,
I have a feeling that there is a way to show that ##\hat{b}## is equal to ##\vec{b}##. but I don't know how to go about finding this.
I've been thinking about it for a day already. any hints or nudges in the right direction would be very helpful please.

Physics news on Phys.org
start by considering the columns of A. Each component of A^T.b is the same as the dot product of a column of A with b.

I tried this not sure if its correct. i used this theorem

##(col A)^\perp = Nul A^T##
since i was given ## A^T\vec{b} = \vec{0} ##
##Nul A^T = \vec{b}##
and this means that ##\vec{b}## is already orthogonal to ##col A##
and because ##\vec{b} - \hat{b} = \perp## to ## Col A##
##\hat{b} = \vec{0}##

right? or am I completely off?

I think you're heading in the right direction - b is orthogonal to every column vector in A, so they are going to do a pretty poor job when used to approximate b

ji707 said:
##Nul A^T = \vec{b}##
this is not quite true

## \vec{b} \in Nul(A^T) ##
is more accurate

i think you've pretty much got it, but you need to outline how you measure how "good" an approximation is to tie it together

1. What is linear algebra A^tb=0?

Linear algebra A^tb=0 is a mathematical equation that represents a system of linear equations. It is used to solve for unknown variables in a system of equations by setting the matrix A multiplied by the vector b equal to zero.

2. How is linear algebra A^tb=0 used in science?

Linear algebra A^tb=0 is used in various scientific fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to model and solve systems of equations that represent real-world phenomena, making it an essential tool in scientific research and problem-solving.

3. What are the applications of linear algebra A^tb=0?

Some common applications of linear algebra A^tb=0 include image and signal processing, data analysis, and machine learning. It is also used in solving optimization problems, estimating parameters in statistical models, and designing algorithms for computer graphics and simulations.

4. What are the main concepts involved in linear algebra A^tb=0?

The main concepts involved in linear algebra A^tb=0 include matrices, vectors, and systems of equations. Matrices are used to represent the coefficients of the variables in a system of equations, while vectors represent the unknown variables. A^tb=0 is used to solve for the values of these unknown variables.

5. What are some resources for learning about linear algebra A^tb=0?

There are many resources available for learning about linear algebra A^tb=0, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some popular resources include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, Khan Academy's Linear Algebra course, and MIT OpenCourseWare's Linear Algebra lecture series.