Linear Algebra: A^tb=0 - Solving for Best Approximation of b in Col A

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
ji707
Messages
8
Reaction score
0
hi all, i was given a take home exam for my linear algebra course and i can't seem to find the answer to this problem.

Homework Statement


if [itex]A^T\vec{b} = \vec{0}[/itex]
what can you say about ##\hat{b}## the vector in Col A which is the best approximation of
##\vec{b}##.

Homework Equations


##A^T A \vec{x} = A^T\vec{b}##

The Attempt at a Solution


I don't even know where to start,
I have a feeling that there is a way to show that ##\hat{b}## is equal to ##\vec{b}##. but I don't know how to go about finding this.
I've been thinking about it for a day already. any hints or nudges in the right direction would be very helpful please.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
start by considering the columns of A. Each component of A^T.b is the same as the dot product of a column of A with b.
 
I tried this not sure if its correct. i used this theorem

##(col A)^\perp = Nul A^T##
since i was given ## A^T\vec{b} = \vec{0} ##
##Nul A^T = \vec{b}##
and this means that ##\vec{b}## is already orthogonal to ##col A##
and because ##\vec{b} - \hat{b} = \perp## to ## Col A##
##\hat{b} = \vec{0}##

right? or am I completely off?
 
I think you're heading in the right direction - b is orthogonal to every column vector in A, so they are going to do a pretty poor job when used to approximate b

ji707 said:
##Nul A^T = \vec{b}##
this is not quite true

## \vec{b} \in Nul(A^T) ##
is more accurate

i think you've pretty much got it, but you need to outline how you measure how "good" an approximation is to tie it together