Linear Algebra: Direct sum proof

1. Let U and V be subspaces of a vector space W. If W=U [tex]\oplus[/tex] V, show U [tex]\bigcap[/tex] V={0}.

I'm a bit lost on this one... as I thought this was essentially the definition of direct sum. I'm unsure where to start. Any help would be great!

2. jcsd
  3. vela

vela 12,513
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's the definition of a direct sum you're using?

4. I wasn't sure if that was necessary info or not... looks like I was wrong :)

If U and V are subspaces of vector space W, and each w in W can be written uniquely as a sum u+v where u is in U and v is in V then W is a direct sum of U and V.

5. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,090
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

So were you able to do the problem?

6. No... I still need help.

7. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,090
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, surely you can do something on it -- even if it's just rewriting the problem in a less opaque form.

e.g. do you know anything about proving two subspaces equal? (Or two sets?)

8. I think you should add the definition as follows:

If U and V are subspaces of a Vector space W and each [tex]w \in W[/tex] can be written as the unique sum as u+v where [tex]u \in U[/tex] and [tex]v \in V[/tex] then

W is the direct sum of U and V and can be written [tex]W = U \oplus V[/tex]

9. HallsofIvy

HallsofIvy 40,310
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Suppose there were a non-zero vector, w, in both U and V and let u be any vector in U. Now, write u as two different sums of vectors in U and V.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?