What is the inner product of a linear operator on a complex inner product space?

In summary, the equation for <Sx,x> becomes <[I+T^{*}T]x,x> when x is replaced by Tx in terms of the properties of inner products.
phagist_

Homework Statement

Let [tex]T : V \rightarrow V[/tex] be a linear operator on a complex inner product space [tex]V[/tex] , and let
[tex]S = I + T^{*}T[/tex], where [tex]I : V \rightarrow V[/tex] is the identity.
(a) Write [tex]<Sx,x>[/tex] in terms of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]Tx[/tex].
(b) Prove that every eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] of [tex]S[/tex] is real and satisfies [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\geq 1[/tex].
(c) Prove that the nullspace of [tex]S[/tex] is [tex]\{0\}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I really hardly have any idea on how to tackle this problem.

Am I right in thinking that; in terms of [tex]Tx[/tex] and [tex]x[/tex]
[tex]<Sx,x>[/tex] becomes [tex]<[I+T^{*}T]x,x>[/tex]?
If so, I'm thinking of using the properties of inner products, but so far I've only dealt with scalars inside the <,> brackets, and not linear operators.
I'm really struggling with it and thus haven't attempted parts b or c yet.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated,
cheers!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
phagist_ said:

Homework Statement

Let [tex]T : V \rightarrow V[/tex] be a linear operator on a complex inner product space [tex]V[/tex] , and let
[tex]S = I + T^{*}T[/tex], where [tex]I : V \rightarrow V[/tex] is the identity.
(a) Write [tex]<Sx,x>[/tex] in terms of [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]Tx[/tex].
(b) Prove that every eigenvalue [tex]\lambda[/tex] of [tex]S[/tex] is real and satisfies [tex]\lambda[/tex][tex]\geq 1[/tex].
(c) Prove that the nullspace of [tex]S[/tex] is [tex]\{0\}[/tex].

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok I really hardly have any idea on how to tackle this problem.

Am I right in thinking that; in terms of [tex]Tx[/tex] and [tex]x[/tex]
[tex]<Sx,x>[/tex] becomes [tex]<[I+T^{*}T]x,x>[/tex]?
If so, I'm thinking of using the properties of inner products, but so far I've only dealt with scalars inside the <,> brackets, and not linear operators.
Well, what are the "properties of inner products" that you could use? Stop "thinking" about using them and use them! Mainly what you need about linear operators here is the definition of [itex]T^*[/itex]

I'm really struggling with it and thus haven't attempted parts b or c yet.

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated,
cheers!

So I have
[tex]
<[I+T^{*}T]x,x>
[/tex]

and the definition of [tex]T^*[/tex] is [tex]<Tx,x>=<x,T^*x>[/tex]

but I'm not really familiar with [tex]<Sx,x>[/tex].. this means that S is operating on x, right?
Then another way to say it is [tex]
<[I+T^{*}T]x,x>
[/tex]
I'm looking for a way to 'break it up'.. I know the property that [tex]<ax,x> = a<x,x>[/tex] and [tex]<x+y,z> = <x,z> + <y,z> [/tex]but as I said before, I'm only familiar with that when a, x, y and z are scalars from some field.

Sorry if these questions/remarks seem stupid, but I just haven't come a problem of this variety before - and are unfamiliar with how to handle it.

Related to What is the inner product of a linear operator on a complex inner product space?

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with vector spaces and linear transformations. It involves the study of systems of linear equations and their solutions, as well as the properties and operations of matrices and vectors.

2. What is the difference between a vector and a matrix?

A vector is a one-dimensional array of numbers, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array. Vectors are typically used to represent quantities with magnitude and direction, while matrices are used for operations and transformations.

3. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of abstract algebra that studies the properties and structures of groups. A group is a set of elements with a defined binary operation that satisfies certain axioms, including closure, associativity, identity, and inverses.

4. How is Linear Algebra used in real-world applications?

Linear Algebra has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and analyze systems with multiple variables, such as in optimization problems, image processing, and data analysis.

5. What are eigenvectors and eigenvalues?

Eigenvectors are special vectors that, when multiplied by a matrix, result in a scalar multiple of themselves. Eigenvalues are the corresponding scalar multiples. They are used to study the properties and behavior of linear transformations, and have applications in fields such as quantum mechanics and machine learning.