1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra Homework Help

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the matrix A = 1 1 2 1
    1 2 3 4
    2 4 7 2t-6
    2 2 6-t t
    Find the values of t for which the matrix A is invertible

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

For A to be invertible, the determinant should not be 0.

So what I did is find the determinant of the 4x4 matrix.
    Since this 4x4 matrix doesn't have any zero.
    I find 4 3x3 determinants which leads to 3 2x2 determinants. And a total of 12 2x2 determinants.
    After I sum all of them, my equation lead to 4t^2-7t+50 is not equals to zero.
    And I can't solve for t.
    This is weird because when I use online calculator for matrix, for t is 0,1,3, or any random number I put in, there is an inverse matrix.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The determinant of that matrix is 2t2-17t+26. I would suggest row-reducing the matrix a bit to make finding the determinant less tedious.

4. Feb 13, 2012 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

you needn't even row-reduce that much. clearing out the first column reduces the problem to finding a 3x3 determinant, and one can use the rule of sarrus:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&k\end{vmatrix} = aek + bfg + cdh - ceg - afh - bdk[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook