So the question would be:For which values of t is the matrix A invertible?

In summary, the matrix A is given and the question is to find the values of t for which the matrix is invertible. To do this, the determinant of A must not be 0. The determinant is found by breaking down the 4x4 matrix into smaller 3x3 and 2x2 matrices and solving for t. After summing all the determinants, the equation 4t^2-7t+50 is obtained. This equation must not equal 0 in order for A to be invertible. Row-reducing the matrix can simplify the process of finding the determinant. Using the rule of sarrus, the determinant can be found by multiplying and subtracting certain elements of the matrix.
junsugal

Homework Statement

Consider the matrix A = 1 1 2 1
1 2 3 4
2 4 7 2t-6
2 2 6-t t
Find the values of t for which the matrix A is invertible

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For A to be invertible, the determinant should not be 0.

So what I did is find the determinant of the 4x4 matrix.
Since this 4x4 matrix doesn't have any zero.
I find 4 3x3 determinants which leads to 3 2x2 determinants. And a total of 12 2x2 determinants.
After I sum all of them, my equation lead to 4t^2-7t+50 is not equals to zero.
And I can't solve for t.
This is weird because when I use online calculator for matrix, for t is 0,1,3, or any random number I put in, there is an inverse matrix.

Physics news on Phys.org
The determinant of that matrix is 2t2-17t+26. I would suggest row-reducing the matrix a bit to make finding the determinant less tedious.

you needn't even row-reduce that much. clearing out the first column reduces the problem to finding a 3x3 determinant, and one can use the rule of sarrus:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix}a&b&c\\d&e&f\\g&h&k\end{vmatrix} = aek + bfg + cdh - ceg - afh - bdk[/tex]

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the study of linear transformations, matrices, determinants, and systems of linear equations. It has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is crucial in solving real-world problems that involve large amounts of data and complex systems. It provides a framework for representing and analyzing relationships between variables and helps in making predictions and decisions based on these relationships. It also serves as a foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering.

3. What are the key concepts in Linear Algebra?

Some of the key concepts in Linear Algebra include vector spaces, matrices, determinants, eigenvalues and eigenvectors, linear transformations, and systems of linear equations. These concepts are interconnected and form the basis for understanding and solving problems in Linear Algebra.

4. How can I improve my understanding of Linear Algebra?

To improve your understanding of Linear Algebra, it is important to practice solving problems and working with concepts. You can also benefit from seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group. Additionally, there are many online resources such as videos, tutorials, and practice problems that can aid in your learning.

5. What are some common applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, physics, engineering, and economics. Some specific examples of its applications include image and signal processing, machine learning, optimization problems, and modeling physical systems.