Linear Algebra linear combinations help

In summary: I'll just go with those vectorsIn summary, the linear combinations of v=(a,b) and w=(c,d) fill the plane unless v is a scalar multiple of w, or vice versa. To find four vectors u, v, w, z with four components each that produce all vectors (b1, b2, b3, b4) in four dimensional space, one can use u=(1,0,0,0), v=(0,1,0,0), w=(0,0,1,0), and z=(0,0,0,1). These vectors span R^4 and can be used to produce any vector in four dimensional space through linear combinations.
porschedude
The linear combinations of v=(a,b) and w=(c,d) fill the plane unless _____.
Find four vectors u, v, w, z with four components each so that their combinations cu+dv+ew+fz produce all vectors (b1, b2, b3, b4) in four dimensional space.

I think that the first part of the answer, that fills the blank, is unless v is a scalar multiple of w, or vice versa.

But as far as the second part of the question, I have no idea what it is even asking. Are b1, etc. referencing the first part of the question? Or is it just asking to write vectors that have all zero components except b1 etc. Any help is much appreciated?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first answer looks fine. I THINK the second one is just asking you to write down four vectors that span R^4. Like u=(1,0,0,0) might be a good choice for the first one. Can you give me a v, w and z that span together with u?

That's what I thought it might mean v=(0,1,0,0), w=(0,0,1,0), z=(0,0,01), but that seems too simple. It's listed in the book as a challenge problems

porschedude said:
That's what I thought it might mean v=(0,1,0,0), w=(0,0,1,0), z=(0,0,01), but that seems too simple. It's listed in the book as a challenge problems

Sure. But I can't think what else it might mean. It certainly can't be referencing any symbols in the first part, since the first part is about R^2.

Alright, thanks for the help,

1. What is a linear combination in linear algebra?

A linear combination in linear algebra is a mathematical expression that involves scaling and adding vectors. In other words, it is a combination of two or more vectors, where each vector is multiplied by a scalar (a real number) and then added together.

2. Why is understanding linear combinations important in linear algebra?

Understanding linear combinations is important in linear algebra because it helps us solve problems involving systems of linear equations, transformations, and vector spaces. It also provides a foundation for more advanced concepts in linear algebra.

3. How do you determine if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors?

To determine if a vector is a linear combination of other vectors, we can use the Gaussian elimination method to solve a system of equations. If we are able to find a solution to the system, then the vector is a linear combination of the other vectors.

4. Can a linear combination have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, a linear combination can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because a linear combination is dependent on the scalars used to multiply the vectors. If there are infinitely many possible values for the scalars, then there are infinitely many solutions for the linear combination.

5. How can I use linear combinations to solve real-world problems?

Linear combinations can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, linear combinations can be used to describe the motion of objects in a system. In economics, they can be used to model supply and demand. In engineering, they can be used to determine the forces acting on a structure.