1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear Algebra: Linear Transformation Problem

1. Oct 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let T[tex]\in[/tex]L(V,V). Prove that T[tex]^{2}[/tex]=0 iff T(V)[tex]\subset[/tex]n(T).

2. Relevant equations
    dim T(V) + dim n(T) = dim V comes to mind.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I don't know where to start. I have no idea what I'm doing. My book and my professor are both utterly useless and I'm frustrated at how badly I am failing at this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Does your book have any definitions? For example does it give a definition of "n(T)"? You did not here, but I am going to assume that n(T) is the null space of T: the set of all vectors, v, such that T(v)= 0. One direction should be obvious. If T(v)= 0, then T2(v)= T(T(v))= T(0)= 0. Now the other way. Suppose that T2(v)= T((T(v))= 0. What does that tell you about the T(V)?

4. Oct 29, 2008 #3
    Ah yes. n(T) is the null space of T.

Okay, suppose T[tex]^{2}[/tex](V) = T(T(V)) = 0:

Let another vector space W = T(V), so T(W) = 0. Then W [tex]\subset[/tex] n(T). Substituting we obtain T(V) [tex]\subset[/tex] n(T).

Does that work?

5. Oct 29, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking, either T(W)= {0} or T(v)=0 for all v in W. It might be better to say "if v is in T(V) then v= T(u) for some u in V. Then T(v)= T(T(u))= T2(u).

That proves "If T2= 0, then T(V)[itex]\subset[/itex]n(T). But you still need to prove "If T(V)[itex]\subset[/itex]n(T) then If T2= 0". Of course, that's pretty easy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?