Linear Algebra: Multiplication by Special Matrices

In summary, the conversation is about using matrices to represent a problem and the steps involved in solving it. It also mentions using a scalar and different matrices to manipulate the original matrix. The conversation ends with a request for help on understanding the role of multiplication on the left or right by these matrices in relation to the rows and columns of the original matrix.
robbie11
Im working on this problem and got stuck i would appreciate any help...

Let Eij be the n × n matrix with 1 at the (i, j)th place and zero elsewhere.
For a scalar c in K, put S = I + cEij . And let T be the n × n
matrix obtained from the identity matrix as follows. In I replace 1 at
the (i, i)th and (j, j)th entries by zero. Replace zeros at the (i, j)th and
(j, i)th entry by 1. Suppose A is an n × n matrix. Compute SA, AS,
TA, and AT to conclude what does the multiplication on the left or
right by S or T do to the row or columns of A.

robbie

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi robbie! Welcome to PF!: :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

(if you want to write the matrices out, either use the CODE tag, 3 to the left of the X2 tag, or use LaTeX and http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node54.html#SECTION00830000000000000000" )

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a matrix in linear algebra?

A matrix in linear algebra is a rectangular array of numbers or values. It is used to represent linear equations and transformations in mathematics and science.

What are the basic operations in matrix algebra?

The basic operations in matrix algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. These operations follow specific rules and properties, such as the commutative and associative properties.

How do you solve a system of equations using matrices?

To solve a system of equations using matrices, you can use the Gauss-Jordan elimination method. This involves manipulating the coefficients of the equations to form an augmented matrix, and then using row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form.

What is the inverse of a matrix?

The inverse of a matrix is a matrix that, when multiplied by the original matrix, gives the identity matrix. It is denoted by A-1 and is used to solve equations and perform other operations in linear algebra.

What are eigenvalues and eigenvectors in linear algebra?

Eigenvalues and eigenvectors are used to describe the behavior of a linear transformation on a vector space. Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent the amount of stretching or shrinking of a vector by the transformation, while eigenvectors are the corresponding vectors that do not change direction under the transformation.