Generating Basis Vectors for an 8x8 Matrix: Linear Algebra Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the generation of basis vectors for an 8x8 matrix, particularly for a discrete Fourier transform (DFT) matrix. The questioner believes that the first column of the matrix is a basis, and wonders if the other columns are also a basis. The basis vectors are to be plotted and commented on.
metokom
Hi everybody

How I can generate basis vectors for a 8x8 matrix which is known?I think that first colon of the matrix is basis and others colons are also basis for a 8x8 matrix.This is true or not .

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
metokom said:
Hi everybody

How I can generate basis vectors for a 8x8 matrix which is known?I think that first colon of the matrix is basis and others colons are also basis for a 8x8 matrix.This is true or not .

Thanks

A basis for what vector space?

I don't know but question says this

"Generate basis vectors for an 8x8 DFT matrix. Plot the basis vectors. Comment on the basis vectors."

"Discrete Fourier Transform"?

yes discrete Fourier transform

1. How do I generate basis vectors for an 8x8 matrix?

To generate basis vectors for an 8x8 matrix, you can use the standard basis vectors for 8-dimensional space. These are vectors with all 0's except for a 1 in one position. For example, the standard basis vector for position 3 would be [0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]. By using these standard basis vectors, you can create a set of 8 linearly independent vectors that span your 8-dimensional space.

2. How many basis vectors do I need for an 8x8 matrix?

To span an 8-dimensional space, you will need 8 linearly independent basis vectors. This is because each basis vector corresponds to one dimension in the space. So for an 8x8 matrix, you will need a set of 8 basis vectors to fully span the space.

3. Can I use any vectors as basis vectors for an 8x8 matrix?

No, not all vectors can be used as basis vectors for an 8x8 matrix. To be considered a basis vector, the vector must be linearly independent, meaning it cannot be written as a linear combination of the other basis vectors. Additionally, the basis vectors must span the entire space, meaning any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

4. How do I know if my basis vectors are correct for an 8x8 matrix?

To check if your basis vectors are correct for an 8x8 matrix, you can perform a few tests. First, make sure that your set of vectors is linearly independent by checking if any vector can be written as a linear combination of the others. Next, check if your basis vectors span the entire 8-dimensional space by seeing if any vector in the space can be written as a linear combination of the basis vectors. If both of these conditions are met, then your basis vectors are correct.

5. Why is it important to have linearly independent basis vectors for an 8x8 matrix?

Having linearly independent basis vectors is important because it ensures that the vectors in your set are not redundant and can fully span the 8-dimensional space. This means that you can represent any vector in the space using a unique combination of the basis vectors, which is essential for performing operations and calculations in linear algebra.