[Linear Algebra] solution to A^TCAx=f

In summary, the conversation involves solving the equation A^TCAx = f, where the conductances are given and f = (1,0,-1). After elimination, the matrix A^TCA becomes a 3x4 matrix with a free variable x_3. The book chooses x_3 = 7/8, which may be due to solving for x_1 and x_3 in terms of x_2 and then choosing x_2 = 1.
Dafe

Homework Statement

With conductances [tex]c_{1}=1, c_{2}=c_{3}=2[/tex], multiply matrices to find
[tex] A^TCAx = f [/tex].
For [tex] f = (1,0,-1) [/tex] find a solution to [tex] A^TCAx = f [/tex].
Write the potentials [tex] x [/tex] and currents [tex] y = -CAx [/tex] on the triangle graph, when the current source [tex] f [/tex] goes into node 1 and out from node 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
A^TCA =
\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 3 & -1 & -2 \\ -1 & 3 & -2 \\ -2 & -2 & 4 \\ \end{array} \right]

[/tex]

After elimination I get:

[tex]
A^TCA =
\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 3 & -1 & -2 & 1 \\ 0 & 8 & -8 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ \end{array} \right]

[/tex]

Which to me means that the loop is broken, and that [tex] x_{3} [/tex] is a free variable.

The book chooses [tex] x_{3}=7/8 [/tex]. Is there a good reason for that value?
Maybe I am missing some important point here?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dafe said:

Homework Statement

With conductances [tex]c_{1}=1, c_{2}=c_{3}=2[/tex], multiply matrices to find
[tex] A^TCAx = f [/tex].
For [tex] f = (1,0,-1) [/tex] find a solution to [tex] A^TCAx = f [/tex].
Write the potentials [tex] x [/tex] and currents [tex] y = -CAx [/tex] on the triangle graph, when the current source [tex] f [/tex] goes into node 1 and out from node 3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
A^TCA =
\left[ \begin{array}{ccc} 3 & -1 & -2 \\ -1 & 3 & -2 \\ -2 & -2 & 4 \\ \end{array} \right]

[/tex]

After elimination I get:

[tex]
A^TCA =
\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 3 & -1 & -2 & 1 \\ 0 & 8 & -8 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ \end{array} \right]

[/tex]

Which to me means that the loop is broken, and that [tex] x_{3} [/tex] is a free variable.

The book chooses [tex] x_{3}=7/8 [/tex]. Is there a good reason for that value?
Maybe I am missing some important point here?

Thanks.

How does ATCA go from a 3x3 matrix to a 3x4 matrix?

Mark44, what Dafe wrote as his second matrix is NOT "ATCA". It is the row echelon form of the augmented matrix with [1 0 -1] as the fourth column.

Dafe, the only good reason I can see is that makes [itex]x_2= x_3+ 1/8= 1[/itex] but then [itex]x_1[/itex] is not an integer. Are you sure they "chose [itex]x_3= 7/8[/itex]". I would suspect that they solved for [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_3[/itex] in terms of [itex]x_2[/itex] and then chose [itex]x_2= 1[/itex].

1. What is the meaning of A^TCAx=f in linear algebra?

In linear algebra, A^TCAx=f represents a system of linear equations where A is a matrix of coefficients, x is a vector of variables, and f is a vector of constants. The superscript T on A indicates the transpose of the matrix, while C is a positive definite matrix. This equation is used to find the solution for the unknown variables x.

2. How do you solve A^TCAx=f in linear algebra?

To solve A^TCAx=f, you can use techniques such as Gaussian elimination, LU decomposition, or matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating the system of equations to reduce it to a simpler form and then solving for the variables x.

3. What is the importance of the matrix C in A^TCAx=f?

The matrix C in A^TCAx=f plays a crucial role in determining the solution to the system of equations. It is a positive definite matrix, meaning all its eigenvalues are positive. This ensures that the system has a unique solution, making it easier to solve compared to systems with non-positive definite matrices.

4. Can A^TCAx=f have multiple solutions?

No, A^TCAx=f cannot have multiple solutions. This is because the matrix C is positive definite, ensuring that the system of equations has a unique solution. If the matrix C were not positive definite, there could be infinitely many solutions or no solutions at all.

5. What are the applications of solving A^TCAx=f in linear algebra?

The solution to A^TCAx=f has various applications in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering. It is used to solve problems involving linear transformations, data analysis, optimization, and differential equations. It is also a fundamental concept in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.