Linear Algebra: Determine Span of {(1, 0, 3), (2, 0, -1), (4, 0, 5), (2, 0, 6)}

In summary, a geometric description of the subspace S does not span is that the first and last vectors in the set are scalar multiples which means they are parallel and the x-z plane is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^3##.
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set spans ℜ3. If the set does not span ℜ3 give a geometric description of the subspace it does span.

s = {(1, 0, 3), (2, 0, -1), (4, 0, 5), (2, 0, 6)}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with the second part of this problem (geometric shape). First off here is what I did to show that S does not span ℜ3.

First I define A, B, C, D as scalars and say;
A + 2B + 4C + 2D = X
0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = Y
3A - B + 5C + 6D = Z

I set up the augmented matrix

| 1 2 4 2 : X |
| 0 0 0 0 : Y |
| 3 -1 5 6 : Z |

rref (using ti89 titanium) ~
| 1 0 2 2 : 0 |
| 0 1 1 0 : 0 |
| 0 0 0 0 : 1 |

I can conclude from this result that S does not span ℜ3.

Now for the geometric shape.

I immediately see that the first and last vectors in the set are scalar multiples which means that they aer parallel.

Next I note that for all vectors y=0. My first thought is that the geometric shape is the plane formed by the x z axis to check I create a new set in ℜ2 on the xz plane

W = {(1, 3), (2, -1), (4, 5), (2, 6)}

Then repeat the above process to see is W spans xz plane

My augmented matrix becomes

| 1 0 2 2 : (X + 2Z) / 7 |
| 0 1 1 0 : (3X - Z) / 7 |

From this I can say that W spans xz in ℜ2.

Is this correct? If not, where am I lacking in my understanding? My big hold up is the only example we have seen is a line. I am not convinced that this is not a line in space.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jake 7174 said:

Homework Statement

Determine whether the set spans ℜ3. If the set does not span ℜ3 give a geometric description of the subspace it does span.

s = {(1, 0, 3), (2, 0, -1), (4, 0, 5), (2, 0, 6)}

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with the second part of this problem (geometric shape). First off here is what I did to show that S does not span ℜ3.

First I define A, B, C, D as scalars and say;
A + 2B + 4C + 2D = X
0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = Y
3A - B + 5C + 6D = Z
This is more work than you need to do. The fourth vector is a multiple of the first, so it suffices to check whether the first three vectors in your set are linearly independent.
Jake 7174 said:
I set up the augmented matrix

| 0 0 0 0 : Y |

| 1 0 2 2 : 0 |
| 0 1 1 0 : 0 |
| 0 0 0 0 : 1 |
How did Z turn into 1?
Jake 7174 said:
I can conclude from this result that S does not span ℜ3.

Now for the geometric shape.

I immediately see that the first and last vectors in the set are scalar multiples which means that they aer parallel.

Next I note that for all vectors y=0. My first thought is that the geometric shape is the plane formed by the x z axis to check I create a new set in ℜ2 on the xz plane
The x-z plane is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, so the set of four vectors spans a plane in ##\mathbb{R}^3##.
Jake 7174 said:
W = {(1, 3), (2, -1), (4, 5), (2, 6)}

Then repeat the above process to see is W spans xz plane

My augmented matrix becomes

| 1 0 2 2 : (X + 2Z) / 7 |
| 0 1 1 0 : (3X - Z) / 7 |

From this I can say that W spans xz in ℜ2.

Is this correct? If not, where am I lacking in my understanding? My big hold up is the only example we have seen is a line. I am not convinced that this is not a line in space.
Right. The vectors span a plane in space.

Mark44 said:
This is more work than you need to do. The fourth vector is a multiple of the first, so it suffices to check whether the first three vectors in your set are linearly independent.
How did Z turn into 1?
The x-z plane is a subset of ##\mathbb{R}^3##, so the set of four vectors spans a plane in ##\mathbb{R}^3##.

Right. The vectors span a plane in space.

Z turns to 1 because of the way a TI89 handles rref of an augmented matrix.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is the span of a set of vectors in linear algebra?

The span of a set of vectors in linear algebra is the set of all linear combinations of those vectors. In other words, it is the set of all possible combinations of scaling and adding those vectors together.

2. How do you determine the span of a set of vectors?

To determine the span of a set of vectors, you can write the vectors as columns in a matrix and perform row reduction to find the pivot columns. The span is then the set of all linear combinations of the original vectors that can be written using the pivot columns.

3. Can the span of a set of vectors be a subspace?

Yes, the span of a set of vectors can be a subspace if the vectors are linearly independent. This means that none of the vectors can be written as a linear combination of the others.

4. How many vectors are needed to determine the span of a subspace?

The number of vectors needed to determine the span of a subspace is equal to the number of dimensions of the subspace. For example, in three-dimensional space, at least three linearly independent vectors are needed to determine the span of a subspace.

5. What is the span of the set of vectors {(1, 0, 3), (2, 0, -1), (4, 0, 5), (2, 0, 6)}?

The span of this set of vectors is a one-dimensional subspace, or a line, in three-dimensional space. This is because all of the vectors share the same x and z components, and only differ in their y components.