1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear algebra - transformations

1. Jan 11, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Linear algebra - transformations

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I actually have two questions:

1) I have a linear transformation L and it is represented by a matrix A. I also have a vector w, and I want to find out if w gets "hit" by L - see "answer-part" for my approach, and please comment.

2) Does the vectors that span R^n have to be orthogonal and linearly independant or only linearly independant? And is this the same for a vector-space in R^n? Please see comments in "answer-part" as well.

3. The attempt at a solution

1) Can I just solve the system Ax=w? If it is consistent, w gets "hit" by L?

2) The reason why I ask is that e.g. in R^3, the three unit vectors are orthogonal and linearly independant. And I have worked with vector-spaces in R^n where the vectors that span the space are not orthogonal. So I am a little confused here.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2008 #2
    Concerning 1): I don't understand what you mean by 'w gets "hit" be L'.

Concerning 2): Which vectors are you talking about? If S spans R^n, the vectors in S need not be linearly independent. If they are though, then the vectors in S can be used as a basis for R^n.

4. Jan 11, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

1) Yes, if the system of equations is 'consistent' that means you can find a solution. So w is in the range. It is hit.

2) You've asked this before and I've answered it before. A basis doesn't have to be orthogonal. Are you going to ask again?

5. Jan 12, 2008 #4
    Thanks to both of you.

I know I asked it before, and it's not nice of me to ask again - but as I wrote, I got a little confused, but I've bookmarked this topic.

Thanks again.

6. Jan 12, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

More correctly, w is in the image of the linear transformation. If L: U->V, the V is the "range" and the image is a subspace of V.

7. Jan 12, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Strictly speaking the vectors that span a vector space don't even have to be independent! A basis for a vector space must both span the space and be linearly independent. A basis still doesn't have to be orthogonal. That's just often used because orthonormal bases are particularly simple. In fact, a general vector space does not necessairily have an "inner product" defined and so the concepts of "orthogonal" and "normalized" may not even be defined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?