(linear algebra) union of subspaces

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the union of two subspaces, U and V, in the vector space R_3. U and V are defined by equations involving the transpose of a and b, respectively. The conversation also includes attempts at solving the problem and clarifying the concept of 'union' and 'sum of two arbitrary vectors'. Finally, the conversation concludes with a question about the geometric shape described by the equations x1+x2=0 and x2-x3=0.
dlevanchuk
Eh, kind of stuck on this question. I need some suggestions on how to tackle the problem..

Homework Statement

Let U and V be the subspaces of R_3 defined by:

U = {x: aT * x = 0} and V = {x: bT * x = 0} (T means transpose)

where

a = [1; 1; 0] and b = [0; 1; -1]

Demonstrate that the union of U and V is not a subspace of R_3..

Homework Equations

See Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Should I just combine U and V, into something like UuV = {x: aT * x = b*T * x = 0}, since both equations equal to 0, just kind of combine them together..

any tips? am I on the right track?

Physics news on Phys.org
describe / visualize what the subspace U is first. Then describe/visualize what V is. finally, what is U union V? It will be obvious after you do this.

Describing U:
U: aT *x = [1 1 0]*[x1;x2;x3] = x1+x2 = 0

Describing V:
V: bT *x = [0 1 -1]*[x1;x2;x3] = x2-x3 = 0

union of U and V {x: x1+x2=x2-x3=0}

after moving around x's i get
union of U and V {x: x1+x3 = 0}

But as i test this subspace (zero vector, sum of two arbitrary vectors and scalar multiplication) , the union of U and V passes all of the tests...

I have a feeling that I am doing something wrong when I am adding two arbitrary vectors:
u = [-1; 1; 1] and v = [-2; 2; 2] (both vectors are in subspace of U and V).
when i add them i get u+v = [-3; 3; 3], which satisfies the x1+x3=0 equation, so it passed that test..

am I wrong? :( tired of banging my head against the table!

coupla things wrong here:

-you're confused as to what 'union' means. union means 'in V OR U'. not ' V AND U'.

-sum of 2 arbitrary vectors
its supposed to be the sum of any 2 vectors is also inside. not just the random 2 that you happen to pick.this is what i meant by 'describing' earlier:

U is the set of all vectors perpendicular to a. (dot product=0)
V is the set of all vectors perpendicular to b.U union V is the set of all vectors perpendicular to either a or b. now, can you find 2 vectors in [U union V] whose sum is not in [U union V]?

Eh, i still don't get it..

So the sum of two arbitrary vectors will need to satisfy either U or V in order to have the new "U union V" to be considered subspace??

Last edited:
What geometric shapes do the equations x1+x2=0 and x2-x3=0 describe?

What is the definition of a union of subspaces?

A union of subspaces is the combination of two or more subspaces into a single subspace. It contains all the vectors that are contained in each of the individual subspaces.

How is a union of subspaces different from an intersection of subspaces?

A union of subspaces contains all the vectors that are in at least one of the subspaces, while an intersection of subspaces only contains the vectors that are in all of the subspaces.

What is the dimension of a union of two subspaces?

The dimension of a union of two subspaces is the sum of the dimensions of the individual subspaces, minus the dimension of their intersection. In other words, it is the number of linearly independent vectors required to span the union of subspaces.

How is a union of subspaces related to linear independence?

A union of subspaces can only be linearly independent if the individual subspaces are also linearly independent. If any of the subspaces are linearly dependent, then the union of subspaces will also be linearly dependent.

What are some real-world applications of a union of subspaces?

A union of subspaces can be used to model and analyze complex systems in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science. For example, it can be used to represent the different forces acting on an object in physics, or the different features of a dataset in machine learning.