Linear Algebra: Existence & Uniqueness of Solutions, Pivot Structure

In summary, the equations are consistent but have an infinite number of solutions if h and k are not set correctly.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions and Pivot Structure. Determine the values of h and k so that,
[1 3 | 2]
[3 h | k]

(the above is meant to be 1 augmented matrix)

(1) Is consistent (has a solution).
(2) Is consistent with a unique solution.
(3) Is inconsistent.

Homework Equations

Row reduction?

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea where to even begin, I haven't learned anything during class and I can't find any help in the book. If someone could help me get started or preferably tell me the steps of how i would go about doing this I can try it out and post my work here. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I would recommend using row reduction to solve the system. Of course your solution will depend on h and k.

What values of h and k is it impossible to have a solution? (Probably because a denominator is 0 but the numerator is not.)

What values of h and k give an infinite number of solutions? (Probably because both numerator and denominator of a fraction are 0.)

All other values of h and k will give a unique solution.

(If it is really true that you "haven't learned anything during class" and "can't find any help in the book", you are probably in a class you are not ready for and should consider dropping the class.)

thanks for the help, i'll try that. Its not that I'm not ready for the class, the teacher doesn't give many examples at all its just theorem after theorem with him and no explination. Everyone I know in the class is having the same issue. And the book doesn't have examples similar to things he gives on the homework, I mean they're somewhat similar but not enough to learn off of and do it correctly

here's what I did so far.. I did r2 = r2 - 3r1 and got
[1 3 | 2 ]
[0 h-9 | k-6 ]
so I have
x1+3x2 = 2 and
(h-9)x2 = k-6 so...
x2 = (k-6)/(h-9)

Hopefully its right upto this point

So my inconsistent solution would be when h = 9
I'm still a little confused about the consistent and unique

SpiffyEh said:
Hopefully its right upto this point
Ack; you can't divide by an unknown number! What if it happened to be zero??

Hurkyl said:
Ack; you can't divide by an unknown number! What if it happened to be zero??

I think that's the point, Its not consistent if that unknown number happens to be what it needs to be zero in the denominator

SpiffyEh said:
Its not consistent if that unknown number happens to be what it needs to be zero in the denominator
You don't know that. You are drawing your conclusion from the results of division -- but you weren't allowed to divide in the first place, so you don't know if your conclusion is right!

hmm well my teachers have always divided and written the constraint off to thr side so i dunno

Well, most of the time you can divide. When can't you divide? What happens to everything else in that particular case?

just say that your answer is right when h is not zero and then put a zero in place of h and solve the system again and say that this is the answer when h is zero - problem solved ! :)
*you may need to do the same for k...

that is also consistent with the question: determine when "such and such", so you need to check different options from h and k !

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their solutions. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of equations to solve problems related to lines, planes, and higher dimensional objects.

2. What is the concept of existence and uniqueness of solutions in linear algebra?

The concept of existence and uniqueness of solutions in linear algebra refers to the conditions under which a system of linear equations has a solution and whether that solution is unique or not. In other words, it determines if there is a unique set of values for the variables in the system that satisfies all of the equations.

3. How is the pivot structure used in linear algebra?

The pivot structure is used in linear algebra to determine the number of free variables in a system of linear equations and to find the solutions. It is also used to perform operations such as row reduction and to determine if a system is consistent or inconsistent.

4. What is the significance of the pivot structure in linear algebra?

The pivot structure is significant in linear algebra because it helps us to understand the properties of a system of linear equations and to find solutions. It also allows us to determine if a system is underdetermined, overdetermined, or consistent, which is important in many real-world applications.

5. How does linear algebra relate to other fields of science and engineering?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in other fields of science and engineering, such as physics, statistics, computer science, and economics. It is used to solve problems related to optimization, data analysis, control systems, and many other areas. It is also the basis for more advanced mathematical concepts, such as calculus and differential equations.