Linear approximation and Multiple integral questions

In summary, the tangent plane approximation is a linear approximation of a point close to a function that can be approximated by the equation f(x,y) approximate f(x_0,y_0)+f_x(x_0,y_0)\Delta x+f_y(x_0,y_0)\Delta y.
fletch-j
I am aware that for a function of two variables [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] a linear approximation of a point [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] close to [itex]f(x_0,y_0)[/itex] can be approximated by the tangent plane approximation [itex]f(x_0+\Delta x,y_0+\Delta y)\approx f(x_0,y_0)+f_x(x_0,y_0)\Delta x+f_y(x_0,y_0)\Delta y[/itex] where [itex]\Delta x=x-x_0[/itex] and [itex]\Delta y=y-y_0[/itex]

So is the process the same if you have a function [itex]f(x,y)[/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] are themselves functions of more variables?
For example approximating [itex]f(x(s,t),y(s,t))[/itex] near [itex]f(x(s_0,t_0),y(s_0,t_0))[/itex]

Does it scale to an arbitrary number of nested functions?

Would it be something like:

[itex]f(x(s,t),y(s,t)) \approx f(x(s_0,t_0)+x_s(s_0,t_0)\Delta s+x_t(s_0,t_0)\Delta t , y(s_0,t_0)+y_s(s_0,t_0)\Delta s+y_t(s_0,t_0)\Delta t)[/itex]

or

[itex]f(x(s,t),y(s,t)) \approx f(x(s_0,t_0),y(s_0,t_0))+f_s(x(s_0,t_0),y(s_0,t_0))\Delta s + f_t(x(s_0,t_0),y(s_0,t_0))\Delta t[/itex]
??Also I have this problem:

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to find the volume of a solid cut from [itex]x=y^2[/itex] by the planes [itex]z=0[/itex] and [itex]x+z=1[/itex]

I just need help setting it out, I can do the calculation myself.

9oNNV.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I had it set out as follows but I am unsure if it is correct.

[itex]\int^1_{-1} \int^1_0 \int^{1-z}_{y^2} dx dz dy[/itex]

Can someone please let me know if that is incorrect and if so, what I have done wrong.

Also I was wondering, (how) could this be written as a double integral?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fletch-j said:
Also I have this problem:

Homework Statement

Use a triple integral to find the volume of a solid cut from [itex]x=y^2[/itex] by the planes [itex]z=0[/itex] and [itex]x+z=1[/itex]

I just need help setting it out, I can do the calculation myself.

9oNNV.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I had it set out as follows but I am unsure if it is correct.

[itex]\int^1_{-1} \int^1_0 \int^{1-z}_{y^2} dx dz dy[/itex]

Can someone please let me know if that is incorrect and if so, what I have done wrong.

Also I was wondering, (how) could this be written as a double integral?

You have chosen the worst possible order of integration for this problem, which has caused you to get the middle limits incorrect. The difficulty is that if you integrate in the x direction first, you need to know the shadow of the solid in the yz plane. To get that you need to eliminate x between the cylindrical parabola and the slanted plane. The upper limit on the dz integral is not constant since it depends on y.

The easiest order would be dz dx dy. Once you work out the inner integral, what is left is how you would set the problem up as a double integral.

LCKurtz said:
You have chosen the worst possible order of integration for this problem, which has caused you to get the middle limits incorrect. The difficulty is that if you integrate in the x direction first, you need to know the shadow of the solid in the yz plane. To get that you need to eliminate x between the cylindrical parabola and the slanted plane. The upper limit on the dz integral is not constant since it depends on y.

The easiest order would be dz dx dy. Once you work out the inner integral, what is left is how you would set the problem up as a double integral.

Ah crap, that makes perfect sense. Thanks for being blunt.

Any ideas about about the approximation question?

1. What is linear approximation?

Linear approximation is a method used in calculus to approximate a function with a straight line. It involves finding the equation of the tangent line at a specific point on a curve and using it to estimate the value of the function at that point. This is useful when the function is too complex to evaluate or when only an approximation is needed.

2. How is linear approximation used in real life?

Linear approximation is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, it can be used to approximate the trajectory of a projectile, while in economics, it can be used to approximate the demand for a product. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create smooth curves and surfaces.

3. What is the difference between single and multiple integrals?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while a multiple integral is used to find the volume under a surface in two or three dimensions. In other words, a single integral is a one-dimensional operation, while a multiple integral is a two or three-dimensional operation.

4. What are some applications of multiple integrals?

Multiple integrals have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are used to calculate the mass, center of gravity, and moment of inertia of a three-dimensional object. They are also used in physics to calculate the electric and magnetic fields around objects and to calculate the probability of an event in statistics.

5. How do I solve a multiple integral?

The process of solving a multiple integral involves finding the limits of integration and setting up the integrand in terms of the variables of integration. Then, the integral is solved using techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. In some cases, a numerical method may be used to approximate the value of the integral.