Linear expansion metal rod problem

In summary: Great job!In summary, the first metal rod A has a coefficient of linear expansion of α1 = 2.17x10^-5 m/°C and the second metal rod B has a coefficient of linear expansion of α2 = 1.17x10^-5 m/°C. The third rod C, which is made up of pieces of A and B, has a total length change of 5.80x10^-4 m for an increase of 100°C. Using the equation ∆L = α∆T, where α is the coefficient of linear expansion, we can solve for the fraction of the third rod C that is made of material A, represented by β. Solving for β,
jsalapide
Metal rod A is 0.300 m long expands by 6.50x10^-4 m when its temperature is increased by 100 degrees Celsius. Another rod made of different metal B and of the same length expands by 3.50x10^-4 m for the same increase in temperature. A third rod C, also 0.300 m long, is made up of pieces of the first two metals placed end-to-end and expands 5.80x10^4 m for the same increase in temperature. Find the length of each portion of the third bar.

i have no idea to solve this.. help..

Physics news on Phys.org
From the first part of the question, you can get the coefficients of linear expansion of both materials α1 and α2. Now for the third rod C, let β be the fraction of 0.3 m which is made of material one. Then the fraction of 0.3 m made of material two will be (1 - β). The change in length of C is ∆L = ∆L1 + ∆L2, where ∆L1 is the change in the part made of material one and ∆L2 is the change in length of the part made of material two. Write out this equation and solve for β.

do i have to use the 5.80x10^-4 m given?

Yes, ∆L = 5.80 x 10-4 m, the amount by which the length of C changes.

dx said:
Now for the third rod C, let β be the fraction of 0.3 m which is made of material one. Then the fraction of 0.3 m made of material two will be (1 - β).

how do i solve this part?

There's nothing to solve in that part. You're just saying that the fraction of 0.3 m that is made of material one is β. For example, if β = ½, then the length of material one in C will be ½ 0.3 = 0.15 m.

β is a variable and you don't know what it is yet. That's what you have to find.

Do this first: Expand out this equation: ∆L = ∆L1 + ∆L2 using the formula for linear expansion.

Hint: ∆L1 = α1β(0.3)∆T.

I have to go now so I may not reply for a while.

ok i was just confused... my β is equal to 0.763

i solve for the length of each material and the first part is 0.229 m while the second part is 0.071 m..

is that correct?

Ya that looks correct. I got β = 0.766.

1. What is linear expansion?

Linear expansion is the increase in length of an object when it is heated. This happens because the molecules in the object gain energy and vibrate faster, causing them to take up more space.

2. How does linear expansion affect metal rods?

Metal rods expand when heated due to their atomic structure. As the temperature increases, the atoms in the rod vibrate faster and take up more space, causing the rod to expand in length.

3. What is the equation for linear expansion?

The equation for linear expansion is ΔL = αLΔT, where ΔL is the change in length, α is the coefficient of linear expansion, L is the original length, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

4. How can linear expansion be measured?

Linear expansion can be measured using a device called a micrometer. This device measures small changes in length and can accurately measure the expansion of a metal rod when heated.

5. How can linear expansion be accounted for in engineering and construction?

In engineering and construction, the coefficient of linear expansion is taken into consideration when designing structures and selecting materials. This ensures that the materials used will not expand too much and cause structural issues when exposed to different temperatures.