Linear Map w/ Matrix: Solve for a + d

In summary, the conversation discusses a function L that maps 2x2 matrices to real numbers, and the question of whether it is a linear map. The solution involves showing that L(A + B) = L(A) + L(B), where A and B are 2x2 matrices.
KevinL

Homework Statement

Consider the map L from the space of 2x2-matrices to R given by:

L([a b]) = a+ d
([c d])

For clarity, that's L(2x2 matrix) = a + d

The Attempt at a Solution

Im confused how any function of a matrix could possibly equal addition of two scalars, and thus have no idea where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the entire problem? Your problem statement is incomplete.

To answer your question, this transformation takes a 2x2 matrix as input, and produces a single number as output. It takes the entries in the upper left and lower right corner and produces their sum as its output.

Sorry not sure how I missed that. The question is "Is L a linear map?"

I think I MAY have it now. I need to show linearity by proving L(a+b+c+d)=L(a) + L(b) + L(c) + L(d)

So, L(a+b+c+d) = a 2x2 matrix where each corner is (a + b + c + d)

L(a) is a 2x2 matrix w/ each corner containing a, L(b) is a 2x2 matrix w/ each corner containing b, and same thing for L(c) and L(d). These two things do in fact equal each other, so its a linear map.

I agree that L is linear, but not the way you did it.

What you wrote "So, L(a+b+c+d) = a 2x2 matrix where each corner is (a + b + c + d)
" doesn't make any sense. a, b, c, and d are real numbers, the entries in a 2x2 matrix. a + b + c + d is a single real number. The domain of L is not real numbers.
So L(a + b + c + d) doesn't make any sense, nor is L(whatever) = a 2x2 matrix. L(whatever) is a number.

Also, how can each corner be (a + b + c + d)?

What you want to do is something like this:
Let A and B be 2x2 matrices.
Now show that L(A + B) = L(A) + L(B).
The use of cap letters for matrices prevents confusion with a and b that represent entries in a matrix.

1. What is a linear map with a matrix?

A linear map with a matrix refers to the process of representing a linear transformation using a matrix. This allows for easier manipulation and analysis of the transformation.

2. How do you solve for a + d in a linear map with a matrix?

To solve for a + d in a linear map with a matrix, you can use the following formula: a + d = trace(A), where A is the matrix representation of the linear map.

3. What is the significance of solving for a + d in a linear map with a matrix?

Solving for a + d in a linear map with a matrix is important because it represents the sum of the diagonal elements of the matrix, which is a key factor in determining the properties and behavior of the linear transformation.

4. Can you solve for a + d in a linear map with a non-square matrix?

No, you cannot solve for a + d in a linear map with a non-square matrix. The trace of a matrix is only defined for square matrices, so this formula is not applicable in this case.

5. Is solving for a + d the only way to analyze a linear map with a matrix?

No, there are other ways to analyze a linear map with a matrix, such as finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. These can provide additional information about the transformation and its properties.