Linear momentum and angular momentum

In summary: That's because the KE is transferred to the electric field of the charge. Yes, this is basically what you're saying.
celestra
We see a lot of examples of converting between linear motion and angular motion in our daily life.
But, is the conversion between linear momentum and angular momentum possible?
If so, where have the conservation law of linear momentum and the conservation law of angular momentum gone?
If not so, how can I understand the phenomenon such as this.
A billiard ball that has high angular velocity and low linear velocity is collide with the cushion and bounce off with low angular velocity and high linear velocity.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you haven't actually solved enough textbook problems. Basically, linear momentum can be expressed as angular momentum, and vice versa, and so both are always conserved individually.. it just makes problems easier sometimes if you consider just one first, and the other later.

Thank you for your reply. But, I'm still in confusion. Where exactly originated the increased linear momentum of the billiard ball from? If it's from the angular momentum of the ball before the collision, then each conservations doesn't seem to work to me. If one of linear momentum(p) and angular momentum(L) can be converted into the other one according to L = r x p, then I think they cannot be conserved individually. Where did I mistake?

Regards your question, the billiard ball exerts a force on the cushion. This exchanges linear and angular momentum with the table (and ground), which you didn't notice because the ball has a much smaller mass.

L = angular momentum
P = linear momentum
b = ball
t = table
1 = before collision
2 = after collision
And let's try scalar form only instead of vectors.
Then,
Lb1 + Lt1 = Lb2 + Lt2
Pb1 + Pt1 = Pb2 + Pt2
According to the condition of the above problem,
Lt1 = Pt1 = 0
Lb1 > Lb2
Pb1 < Pb2
Then,
Lb1 - Lb2 = Lt2 > 0 (Surely, this must have been consumed by the cushion as it has been twisted)
But,
Pb1 - Pb2 = Pt2 < 0 (Again, this is magnitude only! It's not related with direction. And this must be supplied from somewhere, not consumed)
My question is if I can consider that the Pt2 is transformed from Lt2. If I can do so, it seems that angular momentum CAN be converted into linear momentum. And it sounds somewhat weird.

You've made more mistakes there. Your first two inequalities are the wrong way around. (Consequently, Lt2 should be negative, and Pt2 +ve. Absolutely no idea what you meant by "consumed".) No you cannot consider Pt2 transformed from Lt2, as I stated previously.

It shouldn't be surprising. The effect occurs where the spinning ball starts exerting a frictional force on the surrounds. Newton's 3rd law states that the force and momentum imparted on the surrounds is equal and opposite to the force and additional momentum that friction simultaneously imparts on the ball, always giving zero change in (any form of) total momentum. You might say rotational kinetic energy is converted to translational kinetic energy.

By the way, welcome to PF :smile:

Thank you for your correction.
Lt2 = Lb2 - Lb1 < 0
Pt2 = Pb1 + Pb2 > 0
Now I accept from your explanation that above two relations are totally independent from each other. So, one of them cannot influence the other. And I understand that I cannot predict the movement of the ball unless considering the kinetic energy. Am I right?
Thanks a lot.

I think I had another mistake in the above mention. Let me ask the final question that IF I MAY SAY that some portion of the angular momentum(L) was CHANGED to linear momentum(p) according to the relation L=rxp(where r is the radius of the ball), AS I CAN SAY that some portion of the angular kinetic energy was CHANGED to linear kinetic energy in the above problem?

I you have a ball flying though space it will have 100% KE but if it hits and connects to a bar that's on a stable axis then it will slow down some because some of the KE will transfer to the spring tension of the molocules in the bar and it will be PE. I guess you could say that the PE is actually KE in the swivel of the planet that the axis is connected too.

Lorentz Law is very interesting because if the charge turns then it should also slow down a little bit.

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a measure of an object's motion in a straight line. It is equal to the product of an object's mass and its velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is linear momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of linear momentum, the total linear momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This means that the initial linear momentum of a system will be equal to the final linear momentum after any interactions or collisions occur.

3. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is equal to the product of an object's moment of inertia and its angular velocity, and is also a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

4. How is angular momentum conserved?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This means that the initial angular momentum of a system will be equal to the final angular momentum after any rotations or interactions occur.

5. What is the relationship between linear and angular momentum?

Linear momentum and angular momentum are related through the concept of moment of inertia. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion, and it is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. As a result, objects with a large moment of inertia will have a smaller angular velocity for a given angular momentum, and vice versa.