Linear momentum and Collisions

In summary: So for b), you need to find the kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision, and then find the difference to get the energy stored in the spring. This will give you the answer for b). For c), once you have the energy stored in the spring from b), you can use the equation Us = 1/2kx^2 to solve for x, the compression of the spring.
JJBrian
1. Homework Statement

A 0.1kg is shot with a speed of 6m/s toward a 1.2kg spring gun( with spring constant of 0.4N/m). The spring gun is initially at rest with its spring relaxed. The spring gun is free to slide without friction on a horizontal table. The 0.1 kg mass compresses the spring to its maximum and remains lodged at this maximum compression.

a)what is the recoil speed of the spring gun( with the 0.1kg mass) after this event?

b)What is the energy stored in the spring gun after this event?

c) How much is the spring compressed from its relaxed position?

d) If instead of hitting a spring gun, this 0.1kg mass hit a 1.2 block of putty ( and stuck to the putty) that was free to slide with no friction on a horizontal table, what would be the recoil speed of the putty( with the 0.1 kg mass)?2. Homework Equations
Linear motion and its conservation
Collisions

3. The Attempt at a Solution

a)

---------------------------------------

m1v1f +m2v2f = 0
v1f = -(m2/m2)*v2f
V1f=(-0.1kg/1.2kg)(6m/s)
v1f = -0.5m/s
Im not too include the spring constant for this part.
Or vf =(m1-m2/m1+m2)*vi
Vf = (.1-1.2/.1+1.2)(6)
Vf= -5.076m/s

b)
Us = 1/2kx^2
Us = 1/2(0.4N/m)(3m)
Us = 0.6J

c)KE + Us = KE+ Us
0 +1/2kx^2max = 1/2mv^2 + 0
xmax =sqrt(m/k)*V
xmax = sqrt(.1kg/.4N/m)*(6m/s)
xmax = 3m

d) Vf = (m1/m1+m2)*v0
Vf = (.1kg/.1kg+1,2kg)*(6m/s)
Vf = 0.4615m/s

Can someone check my work?
Im not too sure about part b and c.
I think i used the wrong equations..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you may be wrong in part a).

My assumption is that part a) is based solely on the conservation of momentum.

The total momentum before a collision must equal the momentum after a collision:

[ (mass1 * velocity1) + (mass2 * velocity2) = Total momentum before ]

The second body (the spring) has no initial velocity, so the total momentum is the momentum at which the 0.1kg "shot" is moving.

After the collision, the bodies stick together, the product of their combined mass and their velocity should be equal to the momentum before the collision.

[Total momentum before = (mass1 + mass2) * velocity ]

As this velocity is your unknown variable, rearrange the formula to find it.

-------
Does anyone disagree with the above?

a is wrong. Conservation of momentum implies:

[tex] (m_1 + m_2) v_f = m_1 v_1 + m_2 v_2 [/tex]

where [itex] v_1 [/itex] and [itex] v_2 [/itex] are the initial velocities and [itex] v_f [/itex] is the final velocity of both objects. You calculate this correctly in d. (the answer to d is the same as a)

For b find out the loss of kinetic energy of the objects involved in the collision. Since energy is conserved that loss must be stored in the spring.

c should be easy if you have b.

I don't see how the answer of a is d.
I thought part a is an elastic collision while part d is an perfectly inelastic collision.
According to the formula used in part and d, they are both equal.
Can some explain this to me? I have a hard time visualizing this...
Some for part a)
(0.1kg + 1.2kg)*vf = (0.1kg)(6m/s)+(1.2kg)(0m/s)
Vf = 0.6/1.3 = 0.4615m/s

d)Vf = (m1/m1+m2)*v0
Vf = (.1kg/.1kg+1,2kg)*(6m/s)
Vf = 0.4615m/s

For part b)
Do I just use KE =1/2mv^2
1/2(.1kg)(6m/s)^2
KE = 1.8J

For part c)

KE before collision = KE after collision + spring energy
0 +1/2mv^2 = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2kx^2
1/2(.1kg)(6m/s) = 1/2(0.1+1.2kg)(0.4615m/s)^2+1/2(0.4N/m)x^2
1.8J = 0.1384 + .2x^2
x=2.882m?
Im not too sure if my inputs for KE after collision are correct

Last edited:
I need help with part b)

you already solved b while solving c.

you use KE before collision = KE after collision + spring energyy and
Us = 1/2kx^2 to get x in one step, but you were supposed to get
the spring energy for question b and use that to get the compression of the spring
for question c.

Related to Linear momentum and Collisions

1. What is linear momentum?

Linear momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has in a straight line. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The unit for linear momentum is kilogram-meter per second (kg·m/s).

2. How is linear momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total linear momentum remains constant. This means that the sum of the linear momenta of all the objects in the system before a collision or interaction is equal to the sum of the linear momenta after the collision or interaction. This principle is known as the law of conservation of linear momentum.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where both the total kinetic energy and the total linear momentum of the system are conserved. This means that in an elastic collision, the objects involved do not undergo any permanent deformation or loss of energy. Examples of elastic collisions include billiard balls colliding on a pool table and two ice skaters pushing off each other on ice.

4. How does the impulse-momentum theorem relate to collisions?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the change in an object's momentum is equal to the impulse applied to it. In the context of collisions, this means that the change in an object's linear momentum is equal to the impulse it receives during the collision. This theorem is often used to calculate the forces involved in a collision or to determine the final velocities of the objects after a collision.

5. Can linear momentum be negative?

Yes, linear momentum can be negative. The direction of an object's momentum is determined by its velocity, so if an object is moving in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction, its momentum will be negative. This is commonly seen in physics problems where one direction is chosen as positive and the opposite direction is negative.