1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Linear speed of the screw

1. Apr 25, 2007 #1
    Could somebody help me with this?

Let’s say I have a screw that is 0.25” dia. I want to screw this screw into the wall.
    First question: If I turn this screw 2 times around its axis, how far the screw will go into the wall?
    Second question: If I rotate the screw at 10 RPM what is its linear speed?
    Please help me with question!!! I can’t figure it out.:cry:

Let’s pretend that the wall doesn’t resists to the screw at all to go in. I just basically want to know the relationship between linear and rotational speed, when linear speed is parallel to the rotation axis.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2007 #2

Danger

Gold Member

Welcome to PF, Shurioz. The questions that you're asking depend upon one factor that you didn't mention: the pitch of the screw; that is, how many threads per inch.

4. Apr 25, 2007 #3
    It’s a good question. Let’s say the pitch is 20. 20 threads per inch.

5. Apr 25, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You can model the screw as "an inclined plane wrapped around a cylinder".

6. Apr 25, 2007 #5
    By using the screw example I just wanted to know if the liner speed perpendicular to the rotation axis is the same as linear speed parallel to the rotational axis.

7. Apr 25, 2007 #6
    Another question about screw threads.

Let’s say we have a nut with custom threads: 2.0” pitch diameter and pitch-10.
    If I rotate this nut by 55 degrees on the bolt, what would be the traveling distance of the nut?
    Please help!!!
    :cry:

8. Apr 25, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there are 10 threads per inch then rotating the bolt 360 degrees will advance it one thread or 1/10 inch. Clear now?

9. Apr 26, 2007 #8
    2 Dick
    Thanks a lot

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?