Liquid pressure in a closed system

In summary, the problem involves a steel cylinder filled with water at 3000psi, with a solid rod entering the cylinder causing a pressure increase. Using the isothermal compressibility of water and the equations for force and volume, a new pressure of 3142psi is calculated, a factor of 10 lower than the original calculation.
klk

Homework Statement

A steel cylinder filled with water contains 3000psi of pressure, completely sealed, walls ≈ infinite thick. No gas is present inside of the cylinder, and no heat exchange. To the problem; if a solid rod/piston enters on top of the cylinder with no possibilities to bleeding off the pressure, what will the pressure build up be if the rod enters the cylinder with 1 ft?

Height of cylinder 500ft, ID of cylinder 8,535in, OD of piston 4in, Temperature of water 333,15K→ Isothermal compressibility of water β= 3,0621e-6 [psi-1]

Homework Equations

β=(1/V)*(∂V/∂P)
F=P*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume before entering the the piston V1= 35,4bbl, after V2 = 35,384 bbl
Solved the above equation for P2 = P1 - ((V2-V1)/(V1*β)). This gave a new pressure inside the cylinder of 4429,9 psi.
I think this pressure is too high compared to the displaced volume that the piston occupies. I am a bit uncertain if the equation above is correct to use for this situation.

Please help, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
klk said:

Homework Statement

A steel cylinder filled with water contains 3000psi of pressure, completely sealed, walls ≈ infinite thick. No gas is present inside of the cylinder, and no heat exchange. To the problem; if a solid rod/piston enters on top of the cylinder with no possibilities to bleeding off the pressure, what will the pressure build up be if the rod enters the cylinder with 1 ft?

Height of cylinder 500ft, ID of cylinder 8,535in, OD of piston 4in, Temperature of water 333,15K→ Isothermal compressibility of water β= 3,0621e-6 [psi-1]

Homework Equations

β=(1/V)*(∂V/∂P)
F=P*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume before entering the the piston V1= 35,4bbl, after V2 = 35,384 bbl
Solved the above equation for P2 = P1 - ((V2-V1)/(V1*β)). This gave a new pressure inside the cylinder of 4429,9 psi.
I think this pressure is too high compared to the displaced volume that the piston occupies. I am a bit uncertain if the equation above is correct to use for this situation.

Please help, thank you.
Hi klk. Welcome to Physics Forums!

I calculate a pressure increase that's a factor of 10 lower than yours.

Thank you for the input, that actually helped me!

I simply added up the volume it takes to pressure up to 3000psi and the displaced volume from the piston -> dV.

P2 = dV/(V1*3,2e-6), which gave me a new pressure of 3142 approx..

What is liquid pressure in a closed system?

Liquid pressure in a closed system refers to the force exerted by a liquid on the walls of a container in which it is held. It is caused by the weight of the liquid and is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

How is liquid pressure calculated?

Liquid pressure can be calculated using the formula P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid column. This formula is known as the hydrostatic equation.

What factors affect liquid pressure in a closed system?

The factors that affect liquid pressure in a closed system include the density of the liquid, the height of the liquid column, and the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, the shape and size of the container can also affect the pressure.

What happens to liquid pressure when the volume of the container changes?

If the volume of the container changes, the liquid pressure will also change. This is because the weight of the liquid remains constant, but the area over which it is distributed changes. Therefore, a larger container will have a lower pressure, while a smaller container will have a higher pressure.

How is liquid pressure different from gas pressure in a closed system?

Liquid pressure and gas pressure in a closed system are both caused by the weight of the substance, but they behave differently. Liquid pressure is constant at a given depth, while gas pressure decreases with increasing height. Additionally, liquid pressure depends on the density of the liquid, while gas pressure depends on the temperature and number of gas molecules in the container.