1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid pressure in a closed system

1. Jan 29, 2014 #1

klk

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A steel cylinder filled with water contains 3000psi of pressure, completely sealed, walls ≈ infinite thick. No gas is present inside of the cylinder, and no heat exchange. To the problem; if a solid rod/piston enters on top of the cylinder with no possibilities to bleeding off the pressure, what will the pressure build up be if the rod enters the cylinder with 1 ft?

Height of cylinder 500ft, ID of cylinder 8,535in, OD of piston 4in, Temperature of water 333,15K→ Isothermal compressibility of water β= 3,0621e-6 [psi-1]

2. Relevant equations

β=(1/V)*(∂V/∂P)
    F=P*A

3. The attempt at a solution
    Volume before entering the the piston V1= 35,4bbl, after V2 = 35,384 bbl
    Solved the above equation for P2 = P1 - ((V2-V1)/(V1*β)). This gave a new pressure inside the cylinder of 4429,9 psi.
    I think this pressure is too high compared to the displaced volume that the piston occupies. I am a bit uncertain if the equation above is correct to use for this situation.

Please help, thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2014 #2
    Hi klk. Welcome to Physics Forums!!!

I calculate a pressure increase that's a factor of 10 lower than yours.

4. Jan 30, 2014 #3

klk

Thank you for the input, that actually helped me!

I simply added up the volume it takes to pressure up to 3000psi and the displaced volume from the piston -> dV.

P2 = dV/(V1*3,2e-6), which gave me a new pressure of 3142 approx..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted