1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Liquid pressure in microgravity

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is more of a conceptual question rather than a homework problem. This is my first post, so apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Consider a jar full of liquid in microgravity.

My book says:
    According to the formula p = ρgh, p→0 as g→0. Thus there is no pressure in the jar when it's in microgravity.

My problem:
    Isn't it true, though, that the molecules in the liquid are jiggling around? Wouldn't these molecules still inadvertently bump into the sides of the jar, creating pressure?

2. Relevant equations

p = ρgh

3. The attempt at a solution

My current thought is that the pressure due to this bumping is negligible. So the formula p = ρgh is a (good) approximation.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 1, 2013 #2
    Here is my opinion. "the formula p = ρgh" is generally used in determining the pressure of liquids at a given depth, h, in a container on the Earth.
    I would think that in no gravity, like in space, there will always be some pressure due to the vapor of the liquid. If you had a gas in space, then of course there would be pressure.

4. Aug 1, 2013 #3
    Barryj is correct. In addition, the equation p=ρgh is not really correct. It should not be used to determine the absolute pressure. The equation should really read Δp=ρgΔz, or, even better dp = ρg dz. The equation gives the relative change in pressure with distance in the direction of the gravitational vector, rather than giving the absolute pressure.

5. Aug 1, 2013 #4
    Brilliant, thank you barryj and Chestermiller.

Would it be appropriate to suggest [itex] p = p_{0} + \rho gh [/itex], where [itex] p_{0} [/itex] is the initial pressure? So, as you were saying Chestermiller, [itex] p = \rho gh [/itex] would be the change in pressure.

6. Aug 2, 2013 #5
    Yes, with spatial position in a gravitational field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted