Liters of CO2 produced by 8.4 g NaHCO3

  • Thread starter Thread starter za105
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Co2 produced
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 12K views
za105
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I'm on a ridiculous pace for completing a year's worth of Chemistry... I have two weeks left to finish over a semester's worth, so I'm struggling to learn all the concepts thoroughly and get decent grades. And so I keep getting stuck on problems.

This problem is really giving me a headache:
From the equation 2 NaHCO3 --> Na2CO3 + CO2 + H2O, how many liters of CO2 at STP will be produced by 8.4 g NaHCO3?

a. 1.21 L
b. 1.12 L
c. 12.1 L
d. 11.2 L

I believe the first lengthy equation, "2 NaHCO3 etc." is extraneous. The next steps that I've taken are calculating the total gram mass of NaHCO3, 84 grams, meaning 8.4 grams is 1/10 of NaHCO3. If this is so, I'm figuring there will be 1/10 as many grams of CO2, meaning 44 grams of CO2. 44 grams to liters is, at a conversion factor of 1000 grams per liter, .044 liters... I'm obviously way off, but I'm clueless as to what else I'm supposed to be doing. I can't find any similar problems in all the other practice problems in my textbook or syllabus to give me a clue. I'm homeschooled, so no teachers to talk to.

Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the first lengthy equation, "2 NaHCO3 etc." is extraneous.
No, actually it is quite important.

You need to find the molar ratio of moles of NaHCO3 reacted to moles of CO2 produced.

Find the number of moles of NaHCO3 which react, use the mole ratio to find the number of moles of CO2 produced.
If you assume CO2 is an ideal gas, then at STP, 1 mole will have a volume of 22.4 Liters.