1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Little trees makes angle around turn

1. Jun 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Your car is smelly so you've placed a Little Trees air freshener in your rear view mirror. You begin to turn around a corner of radius R and the little tree starts to make an angle θ from the vertical. What is the angle θ as a function of the speed v and and radius R?

2. Relevant equations
    radial acceleration= v2/R

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I began by drawing a triangle with the hypotenuse representing the tension vector, T, at an angle of Θ from the vertical. I represented the opposite side TsinΘ and the adjacent side as TcosΘ. I then calculated the net forces on the little tree...

∑Fy=TcosΘ-mg=0
    ∑Fx=TsinΘ=ma

I figured that a here represents the radial acceleration, so I let a= v2/R. Because there is no y movement, I ignored y axis forces.

So I changed the equation to be:
    TsinΘ=mv2/R

This is sort of where I ran into trouble. So I can't have T in the equation so I substituted in T=mg/cosΘ from the y equation. When I plug this into the primary equation, I end up having after cancellation:
    gtanΘ=v2/R. I further simplified this to give me the desired function:

arctan(v2/Rg)=Θ

I'm not sure if I did it correctly because I have g left in the final equation, and I'm not sure how to get it out.

This is my first post on this website, I am teaching myself intro mechanics over the summer and I found this off of a university's old exam and there is no solutions guide, so any confirmation or correction of my solution would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well done - why do you need to get rid of the g in the equation - if gravity were stronger, what do you think would happen to the angle the tree hangs for the same centripetal acceleration?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted