Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load angle of generator

1. Apr 6, 2013 #1
    Is there a mathematical equation for calculating the load angle of a generator?
    I'm trying to calculate the real and reactive power of the generator which the equation I am using is
    EV/Xd sin delta
    where E is the generator excitation voltage
    V is the generator terminal voltage
    Xd is the generator reactance
    and delta is the load angle of the of voltage E and V
    Thanks in advance the the help

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2013 #2

gerbi

Gold Member

Load angle is between stator and rotor fields (vectors). It is a function of power and excitation current, in general.
    You can be calculate it from detailed mathematical model of machine (which is rather.. complicated). Otherwise, it can be estimated. See eq 1 and 2 in this paper:

http://www.google.pl/url?sa=t&rct=j...=TNzGap0SFzHkrM-_uYLY6A&bvm=bv.44770516,d.Yms

Now, it all depends how accurate this calculation needs to be. You can assume that Xq~Xd (quite accurate, use only for cylindrical generator).
    If you want to know it's exact value.. Xq is not among standart parameters (provided by manufacturer, from my experience). You need a series of measurements to estimate it (or good knowledge + all design data to calculate it).

Ok, this was answer to your question. May I ask now what is the purpose of this calculation ? I suggest using other set of parameters to calculate power (forget about load angle). Why not using vectors -> stator current, stator voltage and power factor ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook