Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Load cell question for the experts

1. May 14, 2007 #1
    Hello, I must first say that I think this is an excellent forum, I have found some usefull info in the past.(thanks)

The question I have today is about loadcells, I am working in my companys R&D department I am trying to set up a pair of load cells to measure tension. The load cells I am using are brand new. They are rated at 100 lbs each , 10vdc exc. and the are 3mv/v.

I have hooked up 1 l/c to a data aquisiton system I have which is currently meassuring the excitation voltage (10.0vdc) and the output (m/v). I am sure all my readings are correct, because I am using a calibrated multimeter for verification.

I do understand that @ 30mv I should have 100lbs of tension and @ 0 lbs I should have 0 mv or close to. I was told with no load there should be no more that .3 mv positive bias ( which is fine I am reading .08 - .15mv). One question is: does this change the scaling? is it not now 0-30mv? also when I hang a weight (calibrated 5.005lbs +/- .001 ) I get about 1.95 mv which doesnt seem right I think I should be getting about 1.5 mv.
    I also tried hanging a 25 lb weight and got a reading of 8.59 mv. which should been closer to about 7.5 mv (according to my math) I am trying to figgure out why my numbers arent meshing, Does any 1 have any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2007 #2
    I'm not really familiar with this sensor, but you could try a few things. Plot the voltages vs weight, up to 100 lb if possible. See how the graph looks like, if it's a straight line that means the whole thing is offset by some constant voltage.

Also, you might want to vary the bias voltage, +/- 0.5 volts, see if the readings change.

It's also the possible the multimeter has a too high impedance, so you could try loading the sensor with maybe a 1K resistor, see if it affect the data. Or vice-versa, it's possible the multimeter represents a too low impedance and sucks out the bias voltage from the sensor. In that case you would need a to check it with a high impedance probe, maybe 10 Megaohm using an oscilloscope.

These are the things I would try first based on limited knowledge of the sensor.

hope that helps.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?