Loading / Rapid de-loading of DC motor

In summary: Counter EMF declines rapidly as the speed increases at the expense of torque......which may be why there is little torque reaction when the rotor arms accelerate and decelerate.
CWatters said:
It's not clear to me why the body doesn't spin in the opposite direction to the rotor all the time the rotor is turning (eg due to air resistance). There must be something preventing it. That something can be storing energy that causes the thing to rotate in the same direction as the rotor when it's switched off.

Edit: Even if that's not the cause its potential to be the cause needs to be eliminated. You can mount the body on two ball races and use them to carry the current from the power supply to the motor.

In the collision phase the repelling magnetic fields will stop the body from counter rotating. After the collision when the rotor arms accelerate I believe it is unclear to everyone why the body does not counter rotate. Some people do not like the term ' I do not know'; it takes them out of their comfort zone. The term 'I do not know' for me means there is something to learn and that is what I am trying to do. I am no magician and what you are observing is not magic. All I am at the moment is the boy in the crowd shouting “the king is wearing no clothes!”. The amount of energy in the rotor arms at exchange is clear to see . The lack of counter rotation is equally clear. In reply to your comments on the bearings, it may be a good idea for you to view the video of a device called dean drive. This device would not work when suspended from a string but appeared to work when in contact with the ground. Therefore any contact with the ground is a big no no. I have said that I have placed the device on a thrust bearing to observe the device with no restoring force. The end result is the same the body moves in the same direction as the rotor arms. At the moment I am looking whether there is any time lag in the magnetic fields of the motor. All options remain open for now.

Engineering news on Phys.org
jim hardy said:
The wires?
View attachment 114675

When power is applied it swings through about 3/4 turn , looks like it's hunting about an equilibrium position .
I estimated period at around fourteen seconds, 1/14 hz.

Pick a name for starting position -
i call initial at t=0 6 o'clock because the flat vertical face points away from the wall behind
When motor starts it swings CCW to perhaps 2 o'clock,
then CW to perhaps 11 o'clock
then CCW to 3 o'clock
then CW to 9 o'clock
then CCW to 4 o'clock
then CW to 7 or 8 o'clock
then CCW to 5 o'clock
then CW to about 6:30 o'clock and gets switched off.
Where would it settle?

Wobble at vane frequency maybe (4hz?) is evident.

How it comes to be called 'reactionless' i do not see.

The wires exert a restoring force in either direction.

I have no idea what you are describing with the clock analogy. Please clarify.

The term 'reactionless' means without reaction. An object without weight is said to be weightless. Since the action is the acceleration of the rotor arms and there is no reaction (i.e. counter-rotation of the body) then is reasonable to use the term reactionless. You seem to like formula, so therefore
F + -F > 0

"Dean drive" sounds like crackpottery to me,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_drive

as does the label "reactionless" for this thing.

That's my opinion.

old jim

chazemz said:
I have no idea what you are describing with the clock analogy. Please clarify.
angular displacement from rest in units of hour markings on a clock face rather than degrees

Likes Nidum, jim hardy and NTL2009