Locally Maximally Symmetric Spacetimes

In summary: This is in contrast to R, which measures curvature as a measure of how much a vector field "rips" space at a fixed point. Since the Riemann tensor has dimension L-2, curvature only sets a length scale, and you can only say it's large or small in comparison to some other length. This is in contrast to R, which measures curvature as a measure of how much a vector field "rips" space at a fixed point.
HomerSimpson
Can one say that every general curved spacetime, locally is maximally symmetric?
I know that one can say that every general curved spacetime is locally flat (and therefore maximally symmetric with R=0), but I'm talking about a very high curvature spacetime, where still we can consider nonzero curvatures.

Physics news on Phys.org
HomerSimpson said:
Can one say that every general curved spacetime, locally is maximally symmetric?

What do you mean by "maximally symmetric"? Most general curved spacetimes have no symmetries at all (i.e., no Killing vector fields).

HomerSimpson said:
I know that one can say that every general curved spacetime is locally flat (and therefore maximally symmetric with R=0)

No, you can't say that. What you can say is that every general curved spacetime is locally Lorentz, meaning that at a given event, you can choose a coordinate chart that makes ##g_{ab} = \eta_{ab}## at that event, and makes all of the connection coefficients (first derivatives of ##g_{ab}##) vanish at that event. But that doesn't make ##R = 0##.

Likes 1 person
Thanks for you replay Peter, but I'm still a little bit confused.

PeterDonis said:
What do you mean by "maximally symmetric"? Most general curved spacetimes have no symmetries at all (i.e., no Killing vector fields).

I know it, but I meant "locally" not globally.

PeterDonis said:
No, you can't say that. What you can say is that every general curved spacetime is locally Lorentz, meaning that at a given event, you can choose a coordinate chart that makes ##g_{ab} = \eta_{ab}## at that event, and makes all of the connection coefficients (first derivatives of ##g_{ab}##) vanish at that event. But that doesn't make ##R = 0##.

What you mention here, looks like the Riemann normal coordinate, is it?

PeterDonis said:
But that doesn't make ##R = 0##.

Can we assume that R is almost constant as in maximally symmetric spacetimes and therefore [itex]R_{ab}\propto Rg_{ab}[/itex]?

What I get from your answer, is we can not say that a general high curved spacetime, is "locally" maximally symmetric. Am I right?

HomerSimpson said:
What I get from your answer, is we can not say that a general high curved spacetime, is "locally" maximally symmetric. Am I right?
That's right. And you can strike the word "high". A general curved spacetime is not locally maximally symmetric.

Since the Riemann tensor has dimension L-2, curvature only sets a length scale, and you can only say it's large or small in comparison to some other length.

Likes 1 person

I must clarify that the concept of "maximally symmetric" spacetimes is not a universally accepted term in the field of general relativity. However, I will address your question in the context of locally symmetric spacetimes.

In general, a spacetime is said to be locally symmetric if it possesses a continuous group of isometries, meaning that the metric remains invariant under certain transformations. This group of isometries can be used to classify spacetimes into different types, such as flat, anti-de Sitter, or de Sitter spacetimes.

Now, to answer your question, it is not accurate to say that every general curved spacetime is locally maximally symmetric. This is because the existence of non-zero curvature does not necessarily imply the presence of isometries. In fact, most general curved spacetimes do not possess a continuous group of isometries and therefore cannot be classified as locally symmetric.

However, it is true that every general curved spacetime is locally flat, meaning that in a small region of the spacetime, the curvature is negligible and the spacetime can be approximated by a flat spacetime. This is known as the equivalence principle and is a fundamental concept in general relativity.

In summary, while it is not accurate to say that every general curved spacetime is locally maximally symmetric, it is true that every general curved spacetime is locally flat. I hope this provides a clear understanding of the concept of locally symmetric spacetimes.

Related to Locally Maximally Symmetric Spacetimes

1. What are locally maximally symmetric spacetimes?

Locally maximally symmetric spacetimes are a type of spacetime in which the curvature is constant at every point and the symmetries are maximized. This means that the spacetime is invariant under a set of transformations, such as rotations and translations, and these symmetries are the maximum possible for a given number of dimensions.

2. How are locally maximally symmetric spacetimes different from other types of spacetimes?

Compared to other types of spacetimes, locally maximally symmetric spacetimes have the most symmetries, meaning they have the most possible transformations that leave the spacetime unchanged. They also have constant curvature at every point, unlike other spacetimes where the curvature may vary.

3. What is the significance of locally maximally symmetric spacetimes?

Locally maximally symmetric spacetimes are important in the study of general relativity and cosmology. They provide a framework for understanding the effects of gravity in a highly symmetric environment and are used to model the universe on large scales.

4. Can locally maximally symmetric spacetimes exist in our universe?

Yes, locally maximally symmetric spacetimes can exist in our universe. In fact, the universe is often modeled as a locally maximally symmetric spacetime on large scales. However, on smaller scales, the spacetime is not perfectly symmetric and the curvature is not constant.

5. How are locally maximally symmetric spacetimes related to the concept of curvature?

Locally maximally symmetric spacetimes have constant curvature at every point, which is a measure of the bending of spacetime. This means that the spacetime is completely uniform and has no regions of higher or lower curvature. Other types of spacetimes may have varying curvature, which can affect the behavior of particles and objects in that spacetime.