1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Location of a Centroid

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    I'm at a complete loss on this one, so far. This problem needs to be solved symbolically with Matalb (which won't be a problem once I know what to do), but I'm not even sure where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated

[PLAIN]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9344/prob18.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Due to symmetry of the function xc = b/2. To find xc, just evaluate the two integrals. Are you having trouble setting them up?

4. May 13, 2010 #3
    Yes, I'm unsure how to manipulate the other functions in order to relate everything. I just seem to be completely missing something

5. May 13, 2010 #4

Mark44

That's pretty vague. You need to evaluate two integrals. What do you have for them?

6. May 13, 2010 #5
    I was just being dumb, looking at the problem the wrong way. I was trying to relate yc and y, and I wasn't considering how y and dx were factoring into dA and y_bar.

I now have:
    y_bar = y/2

dA = y*dx

yc = (1/2) Integral(y2*dx) / Integral(y*dx)
    evaluated from 0 to b

where y = H*sin(pi*x/b)

7. May 13, 2010 #6

Mark44

Yes, that's pretty much it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook