Finding Centroid Location using Symbolic Math in Matlab

• Thread starter WRX200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Centroid
In summary, The problem presented involves finding xc symbolically using Matlab and two integrals. The first integral involves the function y2 and the second integral involves the function y. The solution involves manipulating the functions y and dx to find y_bar and dA, and then using yc = (1/2)*(Integral(y2*dx) / Integral(y*dx)) evaluated from 0 to b, where y = H*sin(pi*x/b).
WRX200
I'm at a complete loss on this one, so far. This problem needs to be solved symbolically with Matalb (which won't be a problem once I know what to do), but I'm not even sure where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated

[PLAIN]http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9344/prob18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Due to symmetry of the function xc = b/2. To find xc, just evaluate the two integrals. Are you having trouble setting them up?

Yes, I'm unsure how to manipulate the other functions in order to relate everything. I just seem to be completely missing something

That's pretty vague. You need to evaluate two integrals. What do you have for them?

I was just being dumb, looking at the problem the wrong way. I was trying to relate yc and y, and I wasn't considering how y and dx were factoring into dA and y_bar.

I now have:
y_bar = y/2

dA = y*dx

yc = (1/2) Integral(y2*dx) / Integral(y*dx)
evaluated from 0 to b

where y = H*sin(pi*x/b)

Yes, that's pretty much it.

1. What is the definition of a centroid?

A centroid is the geometric center or average position of all the points in a shape or object. It is often referred to as the center of mass or center of gravity.

2. How is the location of a centroid calculated?

The location of a centroid can be calculated by taking the average of the x-coordinates and y-coordinates of all the points in a shape. This can be represented by the formula (x̅, y̅) = (∑x/ n, ∑y/ n), where x̅ and y̅ are the coordinates of the centroid, ∑x and ∑y are the sum of all the x-coordinates and y-coordinates respectively, and n is the total number of points.

3. What is the significance of the location of a centroid?

The location of a centroid is important in determining the stability and balance of an object or shape. It is also used in various engineering and physics calculations, such as calculating the moment of inertia and determining the center of pressure in fluid mechanics.

4. Can the location of a centroid change?

Yes, the location of a centroid can change depending on the distribution of points in a shape. If the shape is irregular or has varying densities, the centroid may shift from its original location.

5. How is the location of a centroid used in real-world applications?

The concept of centroid is used in various real-world applications, such as architecture, engineering, and design. It is used to determine the balance and stability of structures, to find the center of mass in vehicles, and to calculate the stress and strain in materials.