Locus of Curves: Solving 4.1.2 with 4.1.10 & 4.1.17

• MHB
  • Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Curves
In summary, to determine eqn 4.1.17 using eqn 4.1.10 for problem 4.1.2, we use the chain rule and substitute eqn 4.1.12 for x in eqn 4.1.10. This allows us to express \frac{d\phi}{dt} in terms of \frac{dx}{dt},
bugatti79
Hi Folks,

I am struggling to see how eqn 4.1.17 is determined using eqn 4.1.10 for problem 4.1.2. It is not clear to me what
[tex]\frac{d\phi}{dt}[/tex] is.

I have inserted the eqns I think might be useful into the one jpeg. Any ideas? Sorry I can't make the picture any clearer given the size limit.

Thanks

Attachments

• Relative Velocity r3.png
    Relative Velocity r3.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 56
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion with determining eqn 4.1.17 using eqn 4.1.10 for problem 4.1.2. Let me try to explain it to you.

First, let's review eqn 4.1.10, which is the equation for the rate of change of a variable, in this case, let's call it x. This equation states that the rate of change of x is equal to the derivative of x with respect to time, or \frac{dx}{dt}.

Now, let's look at the problem 4.1.2. From the given information, we can see that x is related to another variable, let's call it \phi, through eqn 4.1.12. This means that x is a function of \phi, or x = f(\phi).

To determine eqn 4.1.17, we need to use the chain rule, which states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function multiplied by the derivative of the inner function. In this case, the composite function is x = f(\phi), and the outer function is \phi, while the inner function is t. So, using the chain rule, we can write:

\frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{dx}{d\phi} \frac{d\phi}{dt}

Substituting eqn 4.1.10 for \frac{dx}{dt} and eqn 4.1.12 for x, we get:

\frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt} (f(\phi)) = \frac{dx}{d\phi} \frac{d\phi}{dt}

Rearranging this equation, we get:

\frac{d\phi}{dt} = \frac{1}{\frac{dx}{d\phi}} \frac{dx}{dt}

Now, let's look at eqn 4.1.17. This equation is the same as eqn 4.1.10, but with x replaced by \phi. This means that it represents the rate of change of \phi with respect to time, or \frac{d\phi}{dt}. So, by substituting our previous equation for \frac{d\phi}{dt} into eqn

1. What is the purpose of solving 4.1.2 with 4.1.10 & 4.1.17 in Locus of Curves?

The purpose of solving these equations in Locus of Curves is to determine the set of points that satisfy both equations simultaneously. This can help in understanding the relationship between the two curves and identifying any intersections or common points.

2. How do you solve 4.1.2 with 4.1.10 & 4.1.17 in Locus of Curves?

To solve these equations, you can use algebraic methods such as substitution or elimination. You can also use graphical methods by plotting both curves on a graph and finding the points of intersection. Additionally, you can use technology such as graphing calculators or computer software to solve the equations numerically.

3. What is the significance of 4.1.2, 4.1.10, and 4.1.17 in Locus of Curves?

These numbers represent specific equations or functions that are being solved for in Locus of Curves. Each equation has its own unique properties and can provide insights into the behavior and characteristics of the curves.

4. Can you solve more than two equations in Locus of Curves?

Yes, you can solve any number of equations in Locus of Curves as long as they are all related to the same set of variables. This can help in understanding the relationship between multiple curves and identifying any common points or intersections between them.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving equations in Locus of Curves?

Solving equations in Locus of Curves can have various real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and economics. It can help in analyzing the behavior of systems with multiple variables, finding optimal solutions, and identifying critical points. For example, in economics, Locus of Curves can be used to analyze the supply and demand curves and determine the equilibrium price and quantity.