1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Logarithms and Exponents Question

1. Jan 7, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Logarithms and Exponents Question

The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The attempt at a solution

Well, I know that one way to figure this out would be that to find a common base for both sides of the equation and then use the known exponent to find the variable. The only thing with this is that there isn't any power that 5 could be taken to, to get 41. Please help...I know this is a simple question but I just can't get it.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2008 #2
    Take log on both sides.
  4. Jan 7, 2008 #3

Science Advisor

Sure there is. Don't limit your thinking to whole numbers.
  5. Jan 7, 2008 #4

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

More precisely;
    find logarithm of both sides with either common logs or natural logs. Take your pick. Just use the same for both sides.

You then have your choice of using a table of logarithms or a good scientific calculator.
    Process starts like this:
    [tex] \[
    \log (5)^x = \log (41) \\
    x\log (5) = \log (41) \\

Can you take the process from there?
  6. Jan 8, 2008 #5
    yep...i got it ! thanks everyone for ur help!
  7. Jan 9, 2008 #6
    I like Stewartcs's solution better. Taking ln on both sides is a very easy way. This idea is thinking outside the box or he is thinking unlike the standard way. This deserves credit. Way to go, Stewartcs's!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?