Deriving a Logarithmic Amplifier: V=ClnI

• Thread starter smuscat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Amplifier
In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of a logarithmic amplifier using a diode with a non-linear characteristic represented by V=ClnI, where C is a constant. The equation Vout=-Cln(Vin/R)=Kln(Vin) is shown, but there is confusion about the mathematical rule used between the two equations. It is later revealed that the equation is incorrect and the correct equation should involve solving for V and using Ohm's law to incorporate R. Additionally, the constants can be combined into one or two constants such as C1 and C2.
smuscat
I am trying to understand the derivation of a logarithmic amplifier as shown in the figure attached.

The diode has a non linear characteristics represented by V=ClnI,where C is a constant.
Then since the current through the feed back loop is the same as the current through the input resistance and the potential difference across the diode is -Vout,we have

Vout=-Cln(Vin/R)=Kln(Vin) where R is input resistance.

What I can't understand is the step in bold,what mathematical rule is used between the two equations?

Thank you in advanced .

Attachments

• amplifier.JPG
    amplifier.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 372
Physics news on Phys.org
Vout = -Vdiode = _____

Can you take it from there?

EDIT:

smuscat said:
What I can't understand is the step in bold,what mathematical rule is used between the two equations?

Just realized, there are three equations highlighted in bold. Which 2 equations do you mean?

Write down the current across a diode as a function of the voltage (hint-it is an exponential). It turns out that an "ideal" diode is better represented by a NPN transistor, with the collector and base tied together for the anode, and the emitter for the cathode. Unfortunately, the logarithmic amplifier made from diodes has a temperature coefficient due to (kT/q) in your equation (another hint).

Nothing adds up:

[tex] V_{out} = -C \ ln(V_{in}/R)[/tex]

[tex] V_{out} = -C \ ( ln \ V_{in} - ln \ R ) [/tex]

[tex] V_{out} = -C \ ln \ V_{in} + C \ ln \ R \neq K\ ln \ V_{in} [/tex]

In addition, why are there dimensioned units in the log argument?

You need better source material--the equation is beyond wrong.

Last edited:
Good catch Phrak, I completely missed that :redface:

Bob S said:
Write down the current across a diode as a function of the voltage (hint-it is an exponential). It turns out that an "ideal" diode is better represented by a NPN transistor, with the collector and base tied together for the anode, and the emitter for the cathode. Unfortunately, the logarithmic amplifier made from diodes has a temperature coefficient due to (kT/q) in your equation (another hint).

I tried to think about it given V=clnI make I subject of the formula gives I=e^v/c but I can't go any further unfortunately.

Redbelly98 said:
Good catch Phrak, I completely missed that :redface:

I seem to recall someone by the name of Redbelly guiding me out of a big whopper of a mistake not too long ago. :smile:

Last edited:
smuscat said:
Vout=-Cln(Vin/R)=Kln(Vin) where R is input resistance.

I believe the third expression has presumed R is a constant. Specifically, K is chosen for a certain R. It shouldn't be written that way (all three expression equal) because the second equals sign has that qualification (that R is a constant and its effect is included in K) but the first equals sign does not have that qualification.

Phrak said:
In addition, why are there dimensioned units in the log argument?

Good catch. Its really a ratio with the denominator constant (at a given temperature). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_modelling

fleem said:
I believe the third expression has presumed R is a constant. Specifically, K is chosen for a certain R. It shouldn't be written that way (all three expression equal) because the second equals sign has that qualification (that R is a constant and its effect is included in K) but the first equals sign does not have that qualification.

Good catch. Its really a ratio with the denominator constant (at a given temperature). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode_modelling

First thanks for your replay

I understood your first point that R (input resistance) is included in K but I can't understand is how R is included in K.In the previous post by Phark showed that
Vout=-ClnVin+ClnR is not equal to KlnVin.Can you state the steps how you concluded that?

Sorry for my luck of understanding.
Thanks

smuscat said:
I understood your first point that R (input resistance) is included in K but I can't understand is how R is included in K.

That was what I thought at first too, but Phrak showed us that it is wrong. R could be included in an additive constant, but not in a multiplier because of the properties of logarithms.

Have you been told the diode equation, which is the basis for this discussion?

For a diode,

i = iS (eV / V0 - 1)​

where iS and V0 are constants for a particular diode.

But, iS is often in the nA or pA range for many diodes, so the "-1" can be ignored when the current is much higher than that. With that approximation we have

i = iS eV / V0

To get the correct equation for gain in the op-amp circuit, you need to do 2 more things:

• Solve the above equation for V
  • Use Ohm's law for the resisitor R to get i in terms of Vin and R

As a final step, you could also combine all the constants in the final equation into just 1 or 2 constants such as C1 and C2. Remember that R is also considered as a constant in this particular circuit.

Redbelly98 said:
That was what I thought at first too, but Phrak showed us that it is wrong. R could be included in an additive constant, but not in a multiplier because of the properties of logarithms.

Have you been told the diode equation, which is the basis for this discussion?

For a diode,

i = iS (eV / V0 - 1)​

where iS and V0 are constants for a particular diode.

But, iS is often in the nA or pA range for many diodes, so the "-1" can be ignored when the current is much higher than that. With that approximation we have

i = iS eV / V0

To get the correct equation for gain in the op-amp circuit, you need to do 2 more things:

• Solve the above equation for V
  • Use Ohm's law for the resisitor R to get i in terms of Vin and R

As a final step, you could also combine all the constants in the final equation into just 1 or 2 constants such as C1 and C2. Remember that R is also considered as a constant in this particular circuit.

I tried follow the above steps by Redbelly,please tell if I did wrong or not

given I=Ise^Vout/Vo

I made Vout subject of the formula gives Vo(lnI-lnIs)=Vout

using Ohms Law did I in terms of V and R

Vo(lnVin/R-lnIs)=Vout

Vo(lnVin-lnRIs)=Vout

VolnVin-VolnRIs=V (I think that VolnRIs ~ 0 ,because Is is approx 0)

Therefore VolnVin=Vout or KlnVin=Vout

Thanks for all

smuscat said:
I tried follow the above steps by Redbelly,please tell if I did wrong or not

given I=Ise^Vout/Vo

I made Vout subject of the formula gives Vo(lnI-lnIs)=Vout

using Ohms Law did I in terms of V and R

Vo( ln(Vin/R) - ln(Is) )=Vout

Vo( ln(Vin) - ln(R Is) )=Vout

Vo lnVin - Vo ln(R Is) = V
Looks good up to here.

(I think that Vo ln(R Is) ~ 0 ,because Is is approx 0)
Not quite. If Is is "≈0", then ln(R Is) would tend to -∞, not zero.

As I see it, the ln(R Is) term should be kept, and perhaps incorporated into a single constant if you wish. This does disagree with the equation given in Post #1.

Thank you for your replay the final answer is I think VolnVin-C=Vout

Might the equation be KlnVin=Vout or VolnVin=Vout for a particular R I think?
In other words Voln(RIs)~0

Thank you for your help!

Technically yes, for a particular R in suitable units ... but this would not be a practical value for R.

We would need R Is = 1, in some system of units, for the ln to be zero. But for realistic values of Is of 10-12 to 10-8 Amps, R would have to be between 108 to 1012 ohms! It's simply not practical to use such large resistor values in most circuits.

So there really needs to be a constant term added (or subtracted) in the expression.

Thanks to everybody, many thanks in particular to Redbelly98.
Gooday!

1. What is a logarithmic amplifier?

A logarithmic amplifier is an electronic device that converts an input signal into an output signal that is proportional to the logarithm of the input signal. This allows for a wider dynamic range in signal processing and is commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

2. How does a logarithmic amplifier work?

A logarithmic amplifier works by using a non-linear amplification process. The input signal is first converted into a logarithmic voltage or current, and then amplified by the amplifier circuit. This results in an output signal that is proportional to the logarithm of the input signal.

3. What is the purpose of deriving a logarithmic amplifier?

The purpose of deriving a logarithmic amplifier is to create a custom amplifier circuit that meets specific requirements, such as a specific range of input signals or a particular response curve. This allows for more precise and accurate measurements in scientific and engineering applications.

4. What is the equation for a logarithmic amplifier?

The equation for a logarithmic amplifier is V=ClnI, where V is the output voltage, C is a constant, and I is the input current. This equation represents the logarithmic relationship between the input and output signals.

5. What are the applications of a logarithmic amplifier?

Logarithmic amplifiers have many applications in scientific and engineering fields. They are commonly used in audio and video processing, signal processing, and measurement instruments. They are also useful in transmitters and receivers for wireless communication systems.