How to Solve the Logistic Equation for Elk Population Growth?

In summary, the problem is asking to find the specific solution to a differential equation that models the growth of elk population in a game refuge. Using the given information, the constant k is found to be equal to -1/5 ln(34.84).
JRangel42

Homework Statement

This a problem that I didn't get completely right after a test, so I wouldn't mind figuring out what were my errors.

A state game commission releases 40 elk into a game refuge. After 5 years, the elk population is 104. The commission believes that the environment can support no more than 4000 elk.

a) find the specific solution to this differential equation; be sure to find values for all constants.

Homework Equations

dP/dt = kP(1- P/4000) 40≤ P ≤ 4000 A = (K - P initial)/K P = K/(1 + Ae^-kt)

The Attempt at a Solution

A = (K - P initial)/K
A = (4000 - 40)/4000
A = .99

P = K/(1 + Ae^-kt)
104 = 4000/(1 + .99e^-k5)
104(1 + .99e^-k5) = 4000
104 + 102.96e^-k5 = 4000
102.96e^-k5 = 3896
e^-k5 = 37.84
-5k = ln (37.84)
k = -1/5 ln (34.84)

Physics news on Phys.org
JRangel42 said:

Homework Statement

This a problem that I didn't get completely right after a test, so I wouldn't mind figuring out what were my errors.

A state game commission releases 40 elk into a game refuge. After 5 years, the elk population is 104. The commission believes that the environment can support no more than 4000 elk.

a) find the specific solution to this differential equation; be sure to find values for all constants.

Homework Equations

dP/dt = kP(1- P/4000) 40≤ P ≤ 4000 A = (K - P initial)/K P = K/(1 + Ae^-kt)

The Attempt at a Solution

A = (K - P initial)/K
A = (4000 - 40)/4000
A = .99

P = K/(1 + Ae^-kt)
104 = 4000/(1 + .99e^-k5)
104(1 + .99e^-k5) = 4000
104 + 102.96e^-k5 = 4000
102.96e^-k5 = 3896
e^-k5 = 37.84
-5k = ln (37.84)
k = -1/5 ln (34.84)

What's your question?

I needed to find k in the equation.

You found one. Does it work in your differential equation?

IOW, does your solution give P(0) = 40 and P(5) = 104?

1. What is a Logistic Integral Equation?

A Logistic Integral Equation is a type of mathematical equation that describes the dynamics of a population over time. It is commonly used in population biology and ecology to model the growth and decline of populations.

2. How is a Logistic Integral Equation different from a Logistic Differential Equation?

A Logistic Integral Equation is an integral form of a Logistic Differential Equation, meaning that it takes into account the cumulative effects of growth and decline over time, rather than just the instantaneous rate of change at a given time. This makes it more suitable for modeling populations that have a limited carrying capacity.

3. What is the significance of the carrying capacity in a Logistic Integral Equation?

The carrying capacity, represented by the parameter K, is the maximum population size that an environment can sustain. In a Logistic Integral Equation, the carrying capacity determines the point at which the population growth rate slows down and eventually reaches a steady state.

4. How is a Logistic Integral Equation used in real-world applications?

Logistic Integral Equations have a wide range of applications in population dynamics, including studying the growth of bacterial populations, analyzing the spread of diseases, and predicting the population growth of endangered species. They are also used in economics and social sciences to model the growth and decline of human populations.

5. What are the limitations of a Logistic Integral Equation?

Like any mathematical model, a Logistic Integral Equation has its limitations. It assumes that the environment remains constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. It also does not take into account external factors such as predation, competition, and migration, which can affect population dynamics. Additionally, it may not accurately predict sudden changes or extreme events in a population.