1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Longitudinal standing waves

1. Oct 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How to find the fundamental frequency of standing longitudinal waves?Are they similar to standing transverse waves?

2. Relevant equations
    none

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know pretty much about standing transverse waves in strings. But i am confused about standing longitudinal waves in strings.:confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2013 #2
    They are similar to standing transverse waves. Think again, similar equations are used.

4. Oct 16, 2013 #3
    The problem statement is-
    A string is stretched so that its length is increased by 1/n of its original length. Find the ratio of fundamental frequency of transverse vibration to that of fundamental frequency of longitudinal vibration.

5. Oct 16, 2013 #4
    Ok i got this question right. Speed of longitudinal wave in strings depends on Young's modulus.

6. Oct 16, 2013 #5
    A string forms transverse wave, not longitudinal wave. maybe the question wants you to assume longitudinal wave traveling through a tube (and its length is increased) and calculate the ratio between the two.

Edit: great, that you got it!!!.....I guess I overlooked the question, the question was asking about the longitudinal waves that travel through every material medium or maybe longitudinal term was misprinted.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. Oct 16, 2013 #6
    BTW, speed of longitudinal waves in general depends on Bulk modulus.

8. Oct 16, 2013 #7
    The term bulk modulus is used for gases and liquids. In metals we use Young's modulus, isn't it?

9. Oct 16, 2013 #8
    Bulk modulus is also used for solids/metal. For tensile stress young's modulus is used, for hydraulic stress bulk modulus is used.

$$v_{transverse}=\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}}$$
    $$v_{longitudinal}=\sqrt{\frac{B}{ρ}}$$
    ##T## is Tension.
    ##μ## is linear mass density
    ##B## is Bulk modulus
    ##ρ## is density

Edit: Tension can be related to young's modulus by:
    $$T=Y.A.\frac{ΔL}{L}$$
    ##Y## is young's modulus
    ##A## is cross-sectional area.
    ##L## is initial length of the string.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  10. Oct 16, 2013 #9
    ....and there goes my 100th post

thanks

11. Oct 16, 2013 #10
    :thumbs:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted