• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Longitudinal standing waves

• Thread starter nil1996
  • Start date

Homework Statement

How to find the fundamental frequency of standing longitudinal waves?Are they similar to standing transverse waves?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know pretty much about standing transverse waves in strings. But i am confused about standing longitudinal waves in strings.:confused:

Answers and Replies

Homework Statement

How to find the fundamental frequency of standing longitudinal waves?Are they similar to standing transverse waves?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

I know pretty much about standing transverse waves in strings. But i am confused about standing longitudinal waves in strings.:confused:
They are similar to standing transverse waves. Think again, similar equations are used.

The problem statement is-
A string is stretched so that its length is increased by 1/n of its original length. Find the ratio of fundamental frequency of transverse vibration to that of fundamental frequency of longitudinal vibration.

Ok i got this question right. Speed of longitudinal wave in strings depends on Young's modulus.

The problem statement is-
A string is stretched so that its length is increased by 1/n of its original length. Find the ratio of fundamental frequency of transverse vibration to that of fundamental frequency of longitudinal vibration.
A string forms transverse wave, not longitudinal wave. maybe the question wants you to assume longitudinal wave traveling through a tube (and its length is increased) and calculate the ratio between the two.

Edit: great, that you got it!!!.....I guess I overlooked the question, the question was asking about the longitudinal waves that travel through every material medium or maybe longitudinal term was misprinted.

Last edited:
Speed of longitudinal wave in strings depends on Young's modulus.
BTW, speed of longitudinal waves in general depends on Bulk modulus.

The term bulk modulus is used for gases and liquids. In metals we use Young's modulus, isn't it?

The term bulk modulus is used for gases and liquids. In metals we use Young's modulus, isn't it?
Bulk modulus is also used for solids/metal. For tensile stress young's modulus is used, for hydraulic stress bulk modulus is used.

$$v_{transverse}=\sqrt{\frac{T}{μ}}$$
$$v_{longitudinal}=\sqrt{\frac{B}{ρ}}$$
##T## is Tension.
##μ## is linear mass density
##B## is Bulk modulus
##ρ## is density

Edit: Tension can be related to young's modulus by:
$$T=Y.A.\frac{ΔL}{L}$$
##Y## is young's modulus
##A## is cross-sectional area.
##L## is initial length of the string.

Last edited: