Looking For Books Hardware, Computers, ElectronIcs -- Beginner

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in learning about electronics and how to build them. They mention their interest in eventually being able to build and program computers. They ask for resources to help them learn and receive recommendations for online communities and a starter kit. They also discuss the basics of electronics and suggest using a multimeter to understand electric systems. The conversation ends with the individual thanking the other person for their response and receiving a link to a website with free resources.
Bok$
Hello Reader,
I am looking into electronics and how the physically work. I'm less interested in the programing side of them and more interested in how to build them. Eventually I would like to be able to build computers and program them but that is a long way off.

Does anyone have any resources that would help? I don't want to waste money on books that won't help.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's some great communities that are interested in this level. For digital electronics, Check out Arduino:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino
That will get you into the world of discrete digital electronics, logic gates microcontrollers and the like (this is behind computers) for classic analogue electronics, Radioshack used to have a good starter kit, along with books explaining watts volts and the rest. Unfortunately, it looks like they're restructuring:
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/dit
I'm sure there's good stuff out there. You might just start with getting a multimeter, reading the basics, and exploring the electronics and electric systems all around you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fooality said:
There's some great communities that are interested in this level. For digital electronics, Check out Arduino:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino
That will get you into the world of discrete digital electronics, logic gates microcontrollers and the like (this is behind computers) for classic analogue electronics, Radioshack used to have a good starter kit, along with books explaining watts volts and the rest. Unfortunately, it looks like they're restructuring:
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/dit
I'm sure there's good stuff out there. You might just start with getting a multimeter, reading the basics, and exploring the electronics and electric systems all around you.
Thanks for the tips. What do you mean by reading the basics?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bok$ said:
Thanks for the tips. What do you mean by reading the basics?

They're online, the basics of classic electric systems: Your volts, your ohms, your watts, the difference between AC and DC. All the stuff you can read with a multi-meter:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...s&field-keywords=multimeter&tag=pfamazon01-20
To understand the electic wiring in your house or your car. It just takes a google search.

1. What are the best books for beginners in the field of hardware, computers, and electronics?

Some popular books for beginners in this field include "Code: The Hidden Language of Computer Hardware and Software" by Charles Petzold, "Computer Science: An Overview" by J. Glenn Brookshear, and "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in computer programming?

Yes, there are many books that cater to beginners in computer programming. Some popular options include "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes, "Head First Java" by Sierra and Bates, and "HTML and CSS: Design and Build Websites" by Jon Duckett.

3. How can I find books that cover both hardware and software topics?

You can search for books that cover both hardware and software topics by using keywords such as "computer engineering" or "computer systems" in your search. You can also look for books that specifically mention both hardware and software in their title or description.

4. Are there any books that focus on specific computer hardware components?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific computer hardware components such as processors, memory, and graphics cards. Some examples include "Computer Organization and Design" by David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy, "The Art of Assembly Language" by Randall Hyde, and "Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach" by John L. Hennessy and David A. Patterson.

5. Can I find books that include practical exercises and projects for beginners?

Yes, there are many books that include practical exercises and projects for beginners to help them apply their knowledge and skills. Some examples include "Computer Science Distilled" by Wladston Ferreira Filho, "Make: Electronics: Learning Through Discovery" by Charles Platt, and "Arduino: A Quick-Start Guide" by Maik Schmidt.