Looking for deltaK, change in total kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation discusses a collision between two pucks on a frictionless air table. The initial and final velocities of the pucks are given, and the change in the total kinetic energy of the system is being calculated. The first answer given was incorrect due to not using enough significant figures, and the correct answer is expected to have four significant figures.
dukebdx12
On a frictionless horizontal air table, puck A (with mass 0.253 kg) is moving toward puck B (with mass 0.373 kg), which is initially at rest. After the collision, puck A has velocity 0.124 m/s to the left, and puck B has velocity 0.650 m/s to the right.

Calculate DeltaK, the change in the total kinetic energy of the system that occurs during the collision.

- I got ΔK = .007 but was not right
-puck A with speed 0.834 is 0.5*0.253*(0.834)2 . Total energy of the two pucks afterwards are 0.5*0.253*(0.124)2 +0.5*0.373*(0.650)2

Physics news on Phys.org
What you did should be right, but your change should be negative though.

yea...-0.007 was my first answer which was wrong also.

edit...i think it is wrong because it is supposed to be in J.

That is in joules. Is this a web assignment? Perhaps you don't have enough significant figures.

yea i realized it is in joules after looking again. At first I put in -.007 yesterday and now I put in -0.007 and it says:
"Not quite. Check through your calculations; you may have made a rounding error or used the wrong number of significant figures." which 4 sig figures is right. so I am not sure and usually if I am around the answer it will round it for me.

Yeah, you didn't use enough significant figures. Your answer has one sig-fig when your given values have three.

1. What is deltaK?

DeltaK, or ΔK, is a symbol used to represent the change in total kinetic energy of a system. It is calculated by subtracting the initial kinetic energy from the final kinetic energy.

2. Why is it important to calculate deltaK?

Calculating deltaK allows us to understand how the total kinetic energy of a system has changed over time. This can provide valuable insights into the dynamics and behavior of the system.

3. How is deltaK related to work and energy?

DeltaK is a measure of the change in kinetic energy, which is a form of mechanical energy. The work-energy theorem states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. Therefore, deltaK is directly related to the work done on a system.

4. What factors can affect deltaK?

DeltaK can be affected by various factors, such as the mass and velocity of the objects in the system, as well as external forces acting on the system, such as friction or gravity. Changes in these factors can lead to changes in the total kinetic energy of the system.

5. How is deltaK used in real-world applications?

DeltaK is used in many real-world applications, such as in the study of collisions, motion of objects, and energy transfer in different systems. It is also commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the performance and efficiency of machines and systems.