Looking for Solid State Physics Textbooks? Check Out These Top Picks!

In summary, the textbook Kittel is not as good as the lectures and the book recommended by the professor is better.
MMS
Hi everyone,

I was hoping you guys could recommend some good solid-state physics textbooks or lecture notes.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wish you could have elaborated a bit more on what you are looking for and what you have already found and not "suitable" to be considered as "good".

Almost everyone who studied Solid State Physics is familiar with the Kittel book. Do you have this already?

And Ashcroft&Mermin is another widely popular text.

Walter Harrison has a series of Solid State books, now published on Dover (meaning: they are CHEAP!). One of this texts (I forget which one, but probably "Electronic Structure and Properties of Solids") has the best coverage of Boltzmann transport equation of any books that I own.

Zz.

Elementary Solid State Physics: Principles and Applications by Omar the 4th edition is pretty amazing.
Imho it is much better than Kittel and the textbook we were using that of Ibach. Much clearer, with explanations not with hand waving and you understand why he's doing all that. Definitely worth looking

ZapperZ said:
I wish you could have elaborated a bit more on what you are looking for and what you have already found and not "suitable" to be considered as "good".

Almost everyone who studied Solid State Physics is familiar with the Kittel book. Do you have this already?

And Ashcroft&Mermin is another widely popular text.

Walter Harrison has a series of Solid State books, now published on Dover (meaning: they are CHEAP!). One of this texts (I forget which one, but probably "Electronic Structure and Properties of Solids") has the best coverage of Boltzmann transport equation of any books that I own.

Zz.

Hi ZapperZ,

The first two you mentioned (Kittel and Ashcroft) are our course's textbooks. I have Kittel and it is more vague than my professor's lectures (and he's one of the worst, if not the worst, professors I've had so far). I still haven't tried Ashcroft (I believe at one point he even mentioned to consider it as an extra) but if Kittel was like that and my professor set these two as our textbooks, I do not expect it to be any better.
I do not want to let this (important) course slip right out of my hands and really, any book or lecture notes that were useful to you when you had the course would be great help.
If needed, I can upload a syllabus here.

dsatkas said:
Elementary Solid State Physics: Principles and Applications by Omar the 4th edition is pretty amazing.
Imho it is much better than Kittel and the textbook we were using that of Ibach. Much clearer, with explanations not with hand waving and you understand why he's doing all that. Definitely worth looking

Great!
I'll make sure to get it ASAP.

Thanks for the recommendation.

1. What is solid state physics?

Solid state physics is the study of the physical properties of solid materials, such as crystals and amorphous solids. It involves understanding the behavior of electrons, atoms, and molecules in these materials and how they give rise to macroscopic properties like conductivity, magnetism, and optical properties.

2. Why is solid state physics important?

Solid state physics is important because it helps us understand and manipulate the properties of materials that are essential for modern technology. This includes electronics, computer memory, energy storage, and many other applications. It also plays a crucial role in developing new materials and technologies for future advancements.

3. What topics are typically covered in a solid state physics textbook?

A solid state physics textbook typically covers topics such as crystal structure, lattice vibrations, electronic band structure, electrical and magnetic properties, and optical properties of solids. It may also include chapters on semiconductors, superconductivity, and nanomaterials.

4. What level of mathematics is required for understanding solid state physics?

Solid state physics involves a significant amount of mathematical analysis. It is recommended to have a strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Some knowledge of quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics is also helpful.

5. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning solid state physics?

There are many excellent textbooks available for learning solid state physics. Some popular options include "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by Charles Kittel, "Solid State Physics" by Neil W. Ashcroft and N. David Mermin, and "Introduction to Solid State Physics" by John Wiley and Sons. It is recommended to consult with your instructor or peers to find the best textbook for your specific needs.