1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Loop rolling on an incline

1. Jun 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    attachment.php?attachmentid=59829&stc=1&d=1372160756.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The force on the loop due to magnetic field in the direction normal to the incline is ##qvB##.
    Balancing forces in the direction normal to the incline,
    [tex]mg\cos\alpha=qvB+N[/tex]
    where ##N## is the normal reaction due to incline and v is the velocity of CM of loop.
    When the loop takes off, N=0 i.e
    [tex]mg\cos\alpha=qvB[/tex]
    Also, ##v=g\sin\alpha t##. Substituting this in the above expression and solving for t, I get ##t=1 sec## but this is wrong. :confused:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2013 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:
    Nope. :redface:

If you got this from F = ma, you left out the static friction force. :wink:

(were you really so optimistic as to think that you could solve this without using the rolling constratint? :rolleyes:)

4. Jun 25, 2013 #3
    I would say if the loop has a mass, you will have to account for its rolling motion. This means use the rotational inertia for a thin loop!

5. Jun 25, 2013 #4
    Ah yes, completely missed it. But how am I supposed to calculate the friction force here? Do I have to go like this:
    ##mg\sin\alpha-f_R=ma## (Translatory motion)
    ##f_RR=I\beta=mR^2a/R## (Torque about CM, ##\beta## is the angular acceleration)
    Solving the two equations:
    ##a=g\sin\alpha/2##
    Hence, ##v=g\sin\alpha t/2##
    I had,
    ##mg\cos\alpha=qvB##
    Substituting v and solving for t, ##t=2 sec##, looks correct?

6. Jun 25, 2013 #5
    I think what tiny-tim meant was that you forgot about an effect of static friction. You should not have to calculate any friction directly in this problem. But, what the static friction does, is it causes the loop to roll, not slide. If there was no static friction, the loop would slide instead of roll, causing it to have 0 angular momentum. Since there is static friction though (implicitly implied), you must take into the moment of inertia of the loop.

7. Jun 25, 2013 #6
    I did take moment of inertia into account. Isn't my last post clear enough? :redface:

8. Jun 25, 2013 #7
    Ah ok missed it sorry

9. Jun 25, 2013 #8
    Hmmm I dont like what you did still though. There shouldnt be any friction in this problem. Is there any sliding occurring? If yes, then there should be friction in this problem. If no, then there should not be any friction. It only has the efffect of causing rotation. The frictional force you put in there kind of came out of nowhere (unless you can somehow justify it to me?)

10. Jun 25, 2013 #9
    Actually Im sorry, you did it fine. I just thought it was weird how you put the friction in there to begin with. I would have gone straight to the moment of inertia haha.

Also I should add, using forces may not be the best method. It will be much easier to use energy. We can assign a given height 'h' where the hoop takes off. If we call ground 0 potential energy, then energy due to gravity is -mgh. Our kinetic energy of the ball moving hoop is 1/2mv^2 and the energy from the rotations of the hoop is 1/2Iω^2 where ω is the angular velocity, a function of velocity (ω=v/r). Now use conservation of energy. But if what you did gets you the correct answer then that is fine.

11. Jun 25, 2013 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Pranav-Arora! :smile:

(sorry, i've been out, enjoying myself! :biggrin:)
    yes that's fine :smile:

btw, you can check it by using the "rolling mass", equal to I/r2, in this case m (for a disc it's m/2, for a sphere it's 2m/5)

you add the "rolling mass" to actual mass giving 2m, then you use that in F = ma

(so for a disc v = gsinαt/(m + m/2) = 2gsinαt/3, and for a sphere = 5gsinαt/7) …

but i don't think the examiners would like that, so just use it for checking :wink:

you can also find v by τ = Iα about the point of contact (since it's the centre of rotation, that's ok), which is quicker since it avoids using (and eliminating) the static friction force :wink:

12. Jun 25, 2013 #11
    Thank you for the help tiny-tim! :smile:

Great! Thank you for both the tips, these will surely be helpful ahead. :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted